Does Cross Cancellation Ensure a Group is Abelian?

• Thread starter BustedBreaks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the first problem shows that a group with the property that whenever ab=ca, then b=c, is Abelian. This is because using cross cancellation we can replace c with b in the equation ab=ca to get ab=ba, which implies an Abelian group. The second problem uses an induction proof to show that if (ab)^n=a^n b^n in an Abelian group, then it is also true for non-Abelian groups.
BustedBreaks
I have two proofs that I am uneasy about and one I'm having trouble with so hopefully I can figure out where I'm going wrong if I am. Ignore the weird numbers, its to help me organize the problems.

14) Let G be a group with the following property: Whenever a, b and c belong to G and ab=ca, then b=c. Prove that G is Abelian. ("cross cancellation" implies commutativity.)

[tex]a,b,c \in G[/tex]

[tex]ab=ca[/tex] implies [tex]b=c[/tex]

[tex]ab=ca[/tex]

[tex]b=c[/tex]
replace c with b in [tex]ab=ca[/tex] and

[tex]ab=ba[/tex]

which implies an Abelian groupThe problem I have with this is that I used cancellation and from some reason I get the feeling I'm not supposed to due to the parenthesis. The question seems to answer itself wit that statement because what they give in the question seems to imply cancellation. Unless Abelian means more than just commutative..
26) Prove that if [tex](ab)^{2}=a^{2}b^{2}[/tex] in a group G, then ab=ba.

Here's what I have:
[tex](ab)^{2}=a^{2}b^{2}[/tex]

[tex]a^{2}b^{2}=a^{2}b^{2}[/tex]

[tex]aabb=aabb[/tex]

[tex]a=a[/tex]

Implies either:
[tex]ab=ab[/tex] or [tex]ba=ba[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{ab}{b}[/tex] [tex]a=\frac{ba}{b}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ab}{b}=\frac{ba}{b}[/tex]

[tex]b\frac{ab}{b}=b\frac{ba}{b}[/tex]

[tex]ab=ba[/tex]15) Let a and b be elements of an Abelian group and let n be any integer. Show that [tex](ab)^{n}=a^{n}b^{n}[/tex]. Is this also true for non-abelian groups?

I feel like I can use a bit from the above example, by starting off from
here:
[tex](ab)^{n}=a^{n}b^{n}[/tex]

[tex]\overbrace{ab\cdot\cdot\cdot ab}^{n}=\overbrace{a\cdot\cdot\cdot a}^{n}\overbrace{b\cdot\cdot\cdot b}^{n}[/tex]

but I feel like I'm working backwards from this to showing it is abelian instead of going from an abelian group to this which seems like what I should be doing...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BustedBreaks said:
I have two proofs that I am uneasy about and one I'm having trouble with so hopefully I can figure out where I'm going wrong if I am. Ignore the weird numbers, its to help me organize the problems.

14) Let G be a group with the following property: Whenever a, b and c belong to G and ab=ca, then b=c. Prove that G is Abelian. ("cross cancellation" implies commutativity.)

[tex]a,b,c \in G[/tex]

[tex]ab=ca[/tex] implies [tex]b=c[/tex]

[tex]ab=ca[/tex]

[tex]b=c[/tex]
replace c with b in [tex]ab=ca[/tex] and

[tex]ab=ba[/tex]

which implies an Abelian group

The problem I have with this is that I used cancellation and from some reason I get the feeling I'm not supposed to due to the parenthesis.
What parenthesis? I don't see any parentheses in the above.
BustedBreaks said:
The question seems to answer itself wit that statement because what they give in the question seems to imply cancellation. Unless Abelian means more than just commutative..

26) Prove that if [tex](ab)^{2}=a^{2}b^{2}[/tex] in a group G, then ab=ba.

Here's what I have:
[tex](ab)^{2}=a^{2}b^{2}[/tex]

[tex]a^{2}b^{2}=a^{2}b^{2}[/tex]
(ab)2 means (ab)(ab). So you have (ab)(ab) = a2b2. a and b are elements of a group, so each has an inverse, right?
BustedBreaks said:
[tex]aabb=aabb[/tex]
The two lines below aren't worth saying. It's obviously true that a equals itself, and that ab and ba equal themselves.
BustedBreaks said:
[tex]a=a[/tex]

Implies either:
[tex]ab=ab[/tex] or [tex]ba=ba[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{ab}{b}[/tex] [tex]a=\frac{ba}{b}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ab}{b}=\frac{ba}{b}[/tex]

[tex]b\frac{ab}{b}=b\frac{ba}{b}[/tex]

[tex]ab=ba[/tex]

15) Let a and b be elements of an Abelian group and let n be any integer. Show that [tex](ab)^{n}=a^{n}b^{n}[/tex]. Is this also true for non-abelian groups?
I think the approach you need to take is an induction proof. You proof with ... is more akin to "armwaving."
BustedBreaks said:
I feel like I can use a bit from the above example, by starting off from
here:
[tex](ab)^{n}=a^{2}b^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\overbrace{ab\cdot\cdot\cdot ab}^{n}=\overbrace{a\cdot\cdot\cdot a}^{n}\overbrace{b\cdot\cdot\cdot b}^{n}[/tex]

but I feel like I'm working backwards from this to showing it is abelian instead of going from an abelian group to this which seems like what I should be doing...

Related to Does Cross Cancellation Ensure a Group is Abelian?

What is the purpose of "Help Checking Some Proofs"?

The purpose of "Help Checking Some Proofs" is to ensure the accuracy and validity of mathematical proofs. This process involves reviewing and analyzing the steps and logic used in a proof to verify that it is correct.

Who typically requests help with checking proofs?

Students, researchers, and mathematicians often request help with checking proofs. It is a common practice for individuals to seek feedback and assistance from others in order to improve their proofs and ensure their accuracy.

What are the benefits of seeking help with checking proofs?

Seeking help with checking proofs can help identify any errors or flaws in the logic of a proof. It can also lead to a better understanding of the subject matter and improve the overall quality of the proof. Additionally, it can save time and effort by catching mistakes early on.

What types of proofs can be checked?

Any type of mathematical proof can be checked, including algebraic, geometric, and logical proofs. The process of checking proofs involves examining the steps and reasoning used, rather than the specific subject matter.

How can one improve their proof-checking skills?

One can improve their proof-checking skills by practicing and seeking feedback from others. It is also beneficial to familiarize oneself with common proof techniques and strategies. Additionally, staying organized and paying attention to detail can help improve proof-checking abilities.