Does Buoyancy Affect the Weight of a Beaker?

• Thread starter rawrrr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
Can you lift the beaker?In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking help with a physics riddle involving a beaker and a string attached to a buoyancy. They are looking for an explanation as to what would happen to the beaker on the left and if the beaker on the right would go down. They mention that there are conflicting answers and express frustration with some of the comments. Finally, they thank the community for the help.
rawrrr
Hi guys, I have been wrecking my brains thinking bout this for quite some time, so I decided to get some help here :D . Please check the diagram in the link below:
http://9gag.com/gag/abq50dE#comment
Ok so, can someone explains what happens to the beaker on the left? Would it get lighter as a result of upwards pull on the string from the buoyancy? I got some answers saying no but there weren't any satisfactory explanations.
And the right one goes down right? I mean its kind of common sense for that one but check the comments and notice how the world is full of idiots.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Does Buoyancy Affect the Weight of a Beaker?

What is buoyancy and why is it important to solve buoyancy problems?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is important to solve buoyancy problems because it helps us understand how objects behave in fluids and how we can design structures that can float or sink.

What are the basic principles of solving buoyancy problems?

The basic principles of solving buoyancy problems involve understanding the concept of buoyancy, knowing the relationship between the density of an object and the fluid it is immersed in, and applying Archimedes' principle which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

What are some common examples of buoyancy problems?

Some common examples of buoyancy problems include determining the buoyant force on a ship or boat, calculating the weight of an object based on its apparent weight in water, and designing a submarine that can sink and rise to the surface.

What are some tips for solving buoyancy problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving buoyancy problems more efficiently include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, using the correct units for density and volume, and double-checking your calculations to ensure accuracy.

How does the shape and size of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape and size of an object can affect its buoyancy because it determines the amount of fluid it will displace and the distribution of that displacement. Objects with a larger surface area will experience a greater buoyant force, while objects with a larger volume will sink deeper into the fluid.