Does air flow direction affect the speed of a spinning table tennis ball?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Magnus Effect and how it affects the movement of a table tennis ball. The question is raised about whether the direction of air flow impacts the ball's movement, and the diagram provided explains the separation of air flow and the acceleration of the ball. The role of surface friction and viscosity in the air is also mentioned as contributing factors to the Magnus Effect. The conversation also references a previous thread with more information on the subject.
beatenbob
Well, I have read a thread regarding a table tennis paradox and I wondered why a top spin ball will dive faster. I have a question here: Does the direction of air flow will affect the ball whether it will float more or dive faster? I mean if the ball spins in the opposite direction of air flow(counter air resistance), will it float more?? And vice versa, if the ball spins in the direction of air flow,will it be diving faster?

If so,by referring the uploaded figure below, can someone tell me, in between which region the air pressure will be lower and where the ball would curve...Thanks a lot

Attachments

• Doc3.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 236
Physics news on Phys.org
The diagram at this website explains the separation of air flow component of Magnus Effect with a backspin example: the air is accelerated downwards, and the ball is accelerated upwards.

Magnus Effect .htm

Wikipedia has a similar diagram, but refers to Bernoulli effect, which I personally don't like when describing open systems (the air isn't contained). It also refers to the air stream detachment as described above. This diagram shows topspin, air is accelerated upwards and the ball is accelerated downwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

What's common to all of these explanations is that a thin layer of air spins with the ball because of surface friction and viscosity (friction within the air itself).

In addition to air stream detachment, the air that is spinning "forwards" (in the same direction as the ball lateral movment), causes more forwards acceleration of the nearby air than the air that is spinning backwards, also due to viscosity. This differential in acceleration of air also contributes to a pressure differential, which accelerates the air in one direction and the ball in the other direction.

Last edited:
Did you read the previous thread on exactly the same subject, beatenbob? It has all the answers in it...

Related to Does air flow direction affect the speed of a spinning table tennis ball?

1. What is the "Another Table Tennis Paradox"?

The "Another Table Tennis Paradox" is a thought experiment in which a player is given an infinite amount of time to hit a ball back and forth on a table tennis table. The paradox arises when considering the fact that, in theory, the player could hit the ball an infinite number of times without ever scoring a point.

2. How does this paradox relate to the concept of infinity?

The paradox highlights the counterintuitive nature of infinity. Despite the player hitting the ball an infinite number of times, they never score a point, demonstrating that infinity is not always straightforward or easily comprehensible.

3. Is the "Another Table Tennis Paradox" a real-life scenario?

No, the paradox is a thought experiment and is not physically possible. In reality, players are limited by their physical abilities and the constraints of the game, making it impossible to hit a ball an infinite number of times.

4. What is the significance of this paradox?

The "Another Table Tennis Paradox" is significant in highlighting the limitations of our understanding of infinity and the counterintuitive nature of this concept. It also serves as a reminder that not all mathematical or theoretical scenarios are applicable to real-life situations.

5. Are there other paradoxes in table tennis or sports in general?

Yes, there are other paradoxes in sports, such as the "Twin Paradox" in physics, which explores the concept of time dilation in relation to a person traveling at high speeds. In table tennis specifically, there is also the "No-Lose Paradox," which considers the possibility of a player never losing a game, even against a superior opponent.