Does a Variable capacitance switch exist?

In summary, the author is looking for a way to variably capacitate a circuit and ultimately wants a rotary switch or contact bar to do it.
tim9000
Hi,
I want to be able to vary the amount of capacitance in a circuit, ideally I'd like to be able to turn a knob to tap a bank of capacitors, something like the attached picture.Is there some sort of switching or device available that anyone can think of which does this?

Cheers

Attachments

• capacitance modulation.png
    capacitance modulation.png
    465 bytes · Views: 453
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know about a switched bank, but continuously variable caps are readily available.

phinds said:
I don't know about a switched bank, but continuously variable caps are readily available.
Hmm, too small I think. thanks anyway

tim9000 said:
ideally I'd like to be able to turn a knob to tap a bank of capacitors, something like the attached picture.

not too difficult to build a switched bank of caps
you labelled your image ... "capacitance modulation" ... what do you mean by that ?
what are you trying to achieve ?

davenn said:
not too difficult to build a switched bank of caps
you labelled your image ... "capacitance modulation" ... what do you mean by that ?
what are you trying to achieve ?
Well I wasn't really thinking about the name, anything's better than 'Untitled', but where the need arose was from an idea for a filter I've been thinking about. I wanted to easily tweak the amount of bipolar capacitance across something (something like 1uF to 500uF for instance). At this point turning a knob would be best, but even if I could do it electronically that would be good (but I wouldn't want any semiconductor voltage drop because minimal series resistance etc. is what I'm after).
Thanks

tim9000 said:
I wanted to easily tweak the amount of bipolar capacitance across something (something like 1uF to 500uF for instance)
For non-polar capacitance, that's pretty big. Are you familiar with how to use 2 polar caps back-to-back to make a non-polar capacitor (of half the value)? That is done in audio circuits pretty commonly, since audio frequencies typically require fairly high capacitance.

And a mechanical switch sounds like your best bet for changing the capacitance. Be careful of large current transients if you switch capacitors at non-zero voltages. You probably want to use multiple values that can be switched in and out (via relays?), so you can vary the total value fairly smoothly...

http://www.mouser.com/images/globalspecialties/lrg/CDB-10-1.jpg
CDB-10-1.jpg

Digitally with Relays? Rotary switch - there are lots of ways to do this, still a lot to be defined. Operating voltage, load (current), speed, resolution ( 1 to 500uF -in what size steps - 1uF resolution would take about 10 steps).

berkeman said:
For non-polar capacitance, that's pretty big. Are you familiar with how to use 2 polar caps back-to-back to make a non-polar capacitor (of half the value)? That is done in audio circuits pretty commonly, since audio frequencies typically require fairly high capacitance.

And a mechanical switch sounds like your best bet for changing the capacitance. Be careful of large current transients if you switch capacitors at non-zero voltages. You probably want to use multiple values that can be switched in and out (via relays?), so you can vary the total value fairly smoothly...

http://www.mouser.com/images/globalspecialties/lrg/CDB-10-1.jpg
View attachment 195300

It had occurred to me to use two back to back polar caps to make a bipolar, but I was worried it might still fatigue them. Does it?

Yeah, a mechanical switch was what I was after, like a sliding bar, but I want to avoid relays and extra complication.

Windadct said:
Digitally with Relays? Rotary switch - there are lots of ways to do this, still a lot to be defined. Operating voltage, load (current), speed, resolution ( 1 to 500uF -in what size steps - 1uF resolution would take about 10 steps).
If there was a rotary switch that maintained connection with the previous taps that would be great, rather than just taping a new section. Do you know of one?
Thanks!

You haven't said at what voltages the caps will be experiencing and at what kind of load. Switch contacts are voltage rated; think arc welding.

dlgoff said:
You haven't said at what voltages the caps will be experiencing and at what kind of load. Switch contacts are voltage rated; think arc welding.
I haven't really decided, for arguments sake say 240VAC but no more current than an Ampere, probably a lot less. I really would like some sort of rotary tap selector switch or rotary contact bar preferably.

Thanks

Search for Programmable Rotary Switch, EXAMPLE - when you see the price tag, you may head back to relays - really not that difficult. They do make Power Factor correction systems with film caps and relays like that.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

tim9000 said:
I haven't really decided, for arguments sake say 240VAC but no more current than an Ampere, probably a lot less
Holy crap, @tim9000 you hadn't mentioned using AC Mains voltages up until now. That can be very dangerous, especially since you don't have much experience with circuits yet. please send me a PM describing exactly what you are wanting to build this for, so I can try to make a decision about letting this thread go on. At the very least, you will need to synchronize any disconnection/connection of capacitors with the zero-crossing of the AC Mains voltage waveform (assuming a non-inductive load).

Likes davenn and dlgoff
After a PM discussion with @tim9000 this thread is re-opened. Tim understands some of the issues in working with AC-Mains powered projects, and he understands that it is a good idea to power off his circuit before switching in different capacitors.

I will post an update on the progress of my project and design details in due course for anyone interested; I have some prototyping to do and some things to buy.

Related to Does a Variable capacitance switch exist?

1. What is a variable capacitance switch?

A variable capacitance switch is an electronic device that uses changes in capacitance to control the flow of electricity. It typically consists of two parallel plates that can move closer or farther apart, changing the amount of capacitance and thus altering the electrical signal.

2. How does a variable capacitance switch work?

A variable capacitance switch works by using the principle of capacitance, which is the ability of two conductive surfaces to store electrical charge when placed close to each other. By changing the distance between the two plates, the capacitance changes and this controls the flow of electricity through the switch.

3. What are the advantages of using a variable capacitance switch?

One major advantage of a variable capacitance switch is its ability to provide precise control over electrical signals. It also has no moving mechanical parts, making it more reliable and durable compared to other types of switches. Additionally, it is compact in size and can be easily integrated into electronic circuits.

4. Where can a variable capacitance switch be used?

Variable capacitance switches are commonly used in electronic devices such as touch screens, sensors, and electronic controls. They can also be found in aircrafts, automobiles, and other industrial applications where precise control over electrical signals is required.

5. How can I determine if a variable capacitance switch exists for my specific application?

The best way to determine if a variable capacitance switch exists for your specific application is to do research and consult with experts in the field. You can also reach out to electronic component manufacturers to inquire about their product offerings and if they have a switch that meets your requirements.