Does a Hydrogen Atom Weigh Less than the Sum of Its Parts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mass of a hydrogen atom in its ground state and how it compares to the sum of the masses of a proton and an electron. The question is raised whether the difference in mass is significant enough to affect the listed atomic mass to six decimal places. The topic of mass defect and binding energy is suggested for further research.
latitude

Homework Statement

(a) Is the mass of a hydrogen atom in its ground state larger or smaller than the sum of the masses of a proton and an electron?
b) What is the mass difference?
c) How large is the difference as a percentage of the total mass?
d) Is it large enough to affect the value of the atomic mass listed to six decimal places?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My intuitive answer to a) is that the ground state total is smaller than the sum of the masses of the proton adn electron... I believe a hydrogen atom is made up of a proton & an electron, but I make its atomic mass 1u and then compare it to the mass of a proton + an electron... however, I'm not sure if this is right, mostly because it seems too simple. Plus, when I search for the mass of a hydrogen atom online, it comes up with something about equal to 2u...

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah try and research something called mass defect and binding energy

Related to Does a Hydrogen Atom Weigh Less than the Sum of Its Parts?

1. What is the mass of a hydrogen atom?

The mass of a hydrogen atom is approximately 1.008 atomic mass units (u) or 1.673 x 10^-24 grams. This is the average mass of a hydrogen atom, as it can vary depending on the isotope.

2. How is the mass of a hydrogen atom determined?

The mass of a hydrogen atom is determined by adding the mass of its subatomic particles: one proton and one electron. The mass of a proton is approximately 1.007 u and the mass of an electron is approximately 0.000548 u.

3. Why is the mass of a hydrogen atom important in chemistry?

The mass of a hydrogen atom is important in chemistry because it is the lightest and most abundant element in the universe. It is often used as a reference point for comparing the masses of other elements and compounds. Additionally, hydrogen is a key element in many chemical reactions and plays a crucial role in the formation of molecules.

4. How does the mass of a hydrogen atom compare to other elements?

As mentioned before, the mass of a hydrogen atom is approximately 1.008 u. This is significantly lighter than most other elements, with the exception of helium, which has a mass of 4.002 u. This difference in mass is due to the number of protons and neutrons present in the nucleus of each atom.

5. Can the mass of a hydrogen atom change?

The mass of a hydrogen atom can change if it undergoes a nuclear reaction, such as fusion or fission. In these reactions, the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus can change, resulting in a different mass. However, in chemical reactions, the mass of a hydrogen atom remains constant as only the outermost electron is involved in bonding with other atoms.