Does a diffraction grating with a shape form fourier image

In summary: So the Fourier image is essentially a representation of the grating object in the far-field region and placing a lens can manipulate its location and size. In summary, the Fourier image of a grating object can be obtained by placing a biconvex lens in the far-field region, which moves the image to a user-defined plane and converts the angular diffraction pattern into a linear one. The shape or profile of the grating does not affect this process.
steph17
i just wanted to get this cleared that a beam falling on a diffraction grating with a shape gives the Fourier images of the grating object which can be reobtained by placing a biconvex lens that would converge the rays and form a focussed Fourier image at its focal length and the image of the object at other points.
please correct me if i have misunderstood any phenomenon above
and is there any relation between the grating lines and the Fourier image? how can i calculate the transfer function of the lens?

Science news on Phys.org
FT relation between object and its image holds true only in far-field region and paraxial rays. The far-field image will give you the FT of the grating object if the used grating upstream was illuminated with plane wave, otherwise the far-field image will be the FT of the field just after the grating (i.e. product between incoming beam and grating transmission function). For the effect of placing a lens, I suggest this file: http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~becker/FOch5-6.pdf

steph17 said:
is there any relation between the grating lines and the Fourier image?
To obtain this relation you have to calculate the FT of the grating lines arrangement.

blue_leaf77 said:
FT relation between object and its image holds true only in far-field region and paraxial rays. The far-field image will give you the FT of the grating object if the used grating upstream was illuminated with plane wave, otherwise the far-field image will be the FT of the field just after the grating (i.e. product between incoming beam and grating transmission function). For the effect of placing a lens, I suggest this file: http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~becker/FOch5-6.pdfTo obtain this relation you have to calculate the FT of the grating lines arrangement.
any particular good book/reference where i can find how to mathematically? thanks for the help

Fundamentals of Photonics by Saleh and Teich

Likes steph17
steph17 said:
i just wanted to get this cleared that a beam falling on a diffraction grating with a shape gives the Fourier images of the grating object which can be reobtained by placing a biconvex lens that would converge the rays and form a focussed Fourier image at its focal length and the image of the object at other points.
<snip>

I'm a little confused by your question- do you mean that the diffraction grating was cut into a particular shape, like a circle or paper doll? Alternatively, by 'shape of the grating' do you mean the groove profile?

Andy Resnick said:
I'm a little confused by your question- do you mean that the diffraction grating was cut into a particular shape, like a circle or paper doll? Alternatively, by 'shape of the grating' do you mean the groove profile?
groove profile, like a cartoon character on the squares, that's all.

steph17 said:
groove profile, like a cartoon character on the squares, that's all.

Thanks, that helps me understand. For example, you may have a laser pointer attachment that projects a square or cartoon character rather than the 'raw beam', right? That attachment is a 2-D phase grating, but if you want to suppress the undiffracted beam as well as undesired diffraction orders, then the grating is nonperiodic.

In any case, the far-field diffraction pattern is the Fourier Transform of the grating transmission. Shining the diffracted beam onto a positive lens (it doesn't have to be biconvex, but it does have to be a positive lens) simply moves the far-field diffraction pattern from infinity to a user-defined plane that is closer and also converts the angular diffraction pattern into a linear diffraction pattern with a conversion factor that involves the focal length of the lens.

Does this help?

Likes steph17
Andy Resnick said:
Thanks, that helps me understand. For example, you may have a laser pointer attachment that projects a square or cartoon character rather than the 'raw beam', right? That attachment is a 2-D phase grating, but if you want to suppress the undiffracted beam as well as undesired diffraction orders, then the grating is nonperiodic.

In any case, the far-field diffraction pattern is the Fourier Transform of the grating transmission. Shining the diffracted beam onto a positive lens (it doesn't have to be biconvex, but it does have to be a positive lens) simply moves the far-field diffraction pattern from infinity to a user-defined plane that is closer and also converts the angular diffraction pattern into a linear diffraction pattern with a conversion factor that involves the focal length of the lens.

Does this help?
yes, thanks

Related to Does a diffraction grating with a shape form fourier image

1. Does the shape of a diffraction grating affect its ability to form a Fourier image?

Yes, the shape of a diffraction grating can greatly affect its ability to form a Fourier image. Different shapes can produce different diffraction patterns, resulting in variations in the Fourier image.

2. How does the spacing between the grating lines impact the Fourier image?

The spacing between the grating lines, also known as the grating period, directly affects the spacing of the diffraction pattern and therefore, the Fourier image. A smaller grating period will result in a larger diffraction angle and a more spread-out Fourier image.

3. Can a diffraction grating with a curved shape form a Fourier image?

Yes, a diffraction grating with a curved shape can still form a Fourier image. However, the curvature of the grating will affect the shape and size of the diffraction pattern, resulting in a distorted Fourier image.

4. How does the number of grating lines affect the quality of the Fourier image?

The number of grating lines, also known as the grating density, can impact the resolution and clarity of the Fourier image. A higher grating density will result in a more detailed and accurate Fourier image, while a lower density may result in a less defined image.

5. Can a diffraction grating with a shape form multiple Fourier images?

Yes, a diffraction grating with a shape can form multiple Fourier images. This is because a single diffraction grating can produce different diffraction patterns at different angles, resulting in multiple Fourier images with varying characteristics.