Does (111) Plane in BCC Cut Center Atom?

• Thread starter u_know_who
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the conversation revolves around a question about the (111) plane in BCC crystal structure and whether or not it cuts through the center atom. The speaker has found that the perpendicular distance from the center of the atom to the plane is 2/3 of the radius of the atom, leading them to believe that the plane should in fact cut the atom. They are seeking clarification on this concept from others.
u_know_who
Hello, as i mentioned i am studying about crystal structure recently, i am facing another problem. In the book it says that :

(111) plane in BCC does not cut the center atom.

But i do some geometry and i come about that the perpendicular distance from the center of that atom to the (111) plane is 2/3 of the radius of atom. So from my point of view it should cut the atom (since the distance is less than the radius of the atom).

Can anyone help me to find out my mistakes?

Physics news on Phys.org
u_know_who said:
Hello, as i mentioned i am studying about crystal structure recently, i am facing another problem. In the book it says that :

(111) plane in BCC does not cut the center atom.

But i do some geometry and i come about that the perpendicular distance from the center of that atom to the (111) plane is 2/3 of the radius of atom. So from my point of view it should cut the atom (since the distance is less than the radius of the atom).

Can anyone help me to find out my mistakes?
I guess they meant that it doesn't pass through the center of the central atom.

So will i take if a plane doesn't pass through the center of the atom we will not count that atom? This thing is not clear in books.

Related to Does (111) Plane in BCC Cut Center Atom?

1. What is a BCC cut center atom?

A BCC (Body-Centered Cubic) cut center atom is a type of crystal structure in which the atoms are arranged in a cubic lattice with one atom at the center of each cube. This type of structure is commonly found in metals such as iron, chromium, and tungsten.

2. What is the significance of the (111) plane in a BCC cut center atom?

The (111) plane in a BCC cut center atom is significant because it is the densest plane in the crystal structure. This means that it contains the most number of atoms per unit area, making it an important plane for studying the physical and mechanical properties of BCC materials.

3. How is the (111) plane in a BCC cut center atom determined?

The (111) plane in a BCC cut center atom is determined by the arrangement of atoms in the crystal structure. In a BCC lattice, the (111) plane can be described as a plane passing through the body center of a cube and containing the corners of three adjacent cubes.

4. What are the properties of the (111) plane in a BCC cut center atom?

The (111) plane in a BCC cut center atom has a high atomic density, making it resistant to deformation and highly stable. It also has a high melting point and good electrical and thermal conductivity. These properties make it useful in various applications, such as in the production of high-strength materials and electronic devices.

5. How does the (111) plane in a BCC cut center atom affect material properties?

The (111) plane in a BCC cut center atom has a strong impact on material properties. It is responsible for the high strength, ductility, and toughness of BCC materials. It also affects the electrical and thermal conductivity, as well as the melting point and corrosion resistance of these materials. Understanding the properties of the (111) plane is crucial in designing and engineering BCC materials for different applications.