Do you see anything mathematical in this figure?

In summary: Additionally, the use of geometric shapes and symbols, such as multiplication and infinity, also highlight mathematical concepts in this mayan weaving. Overall, this piece can be considered as a form of mathematical art, showcasing the beauty and complexity of mathematical concepts in a visual form.
kaleidoscope
Is this mathematical art? What kind of mathematical concepts can you see or illustrate with this figure or its elements?

I see patterns, geometry, sets & algorithms. what do you see?

[PLAIN]http://www.galasdeguatemala.com/data/media/159/DSCF4310.jpg
Mayan weavings from Guatemala

(image should be oriented 90° ccw)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
From a mathematical point of view, I see combinatorics and periodic discrete functions.
On the other hand, I appreciate the colours, that give me some sort of comfort feel. :)

I see addition and multiplication :wink:

I see infinity.

Some sysmbols look like multiplications symbols and less than and greater than signs. On the other hand i could be overthinking this

there are symbols like greater, lesser than, multiplication, infinity, similar (or negation), flower braces, minus, first one may be 'belongs to' ..

I see a piece of cloth with some ornamental patterns woven onto it. It's purple.

Let's not forget symmetry, a fundamental mathematical concept.

True. If there is a single answer, then it's probably translational symmetry (apart from colour :) )

kaleidoscope said:
Is this mathematical art? What kind of mathematical concepts can you see or illustrate with this figure or its elements?

I see several examples of those. (if you leave out the rather irregular colours)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frieze_group"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Do you see anything mathematical in this figure?

1. What qualifies as "mathematical" in a figure?

Mathematical elements in a figure can include geometric shapes, numerical data, patterns, angles, measurements, graphs, and equations.

2. How can I tell if a figure has mathematical elements?

Look for any of the aforementioned elements, or any visual representation of a mathematical concept or formula.

3. Is it important to find mathematical elements in a figure?

It depends on the context. In a scientific or mathematical setting, identifying and understanding the mathematical elements in a figure can be crucial in interpreting data and making conclusions. In other contexts, it may not be as important.

4. Can a figure have both mathematical and non-mathematical elements?

Yes, a figure can have a combination of both mathematical and non-mathematical elements. For example, a graph may have both numerical data and visual illustrations or labels.

5. Are there any specific techniques for finding mathematical elements in a figure?

There is no one specific technique, but some strategies include looking for patterns, analyzing the shapes and angles present, and interpreting any graphs or equations shown.