Do you care about the politics expressed in the music?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not listeners care about the politics expressed in music and also touches on the idea of being able to listen to music despite political views. Some examples are given, such as Lynard Skynard for liberals and Green Day for republicans. The speakers also mention their own preferences and how they approach music with political messages.
when you listen to music, do you care about the politics expressed in the music?

example:
if you are a liberal, can you listen to Lynard Skynard?
if you are a republican, can you listen to Green Day?

Fibonacci

Science news on Phys.org
I hate to admit it, but some times I have a hard time listening to a performer because of something they have said or done. I don't boycott them or protest. I simply change the station. It doesn't happen very often. I think that other personality traits influence my decision as well, not just the political aspect.

1 said:
when you listen to music, do you care about the politics expressed in the music?

example:

Fibonacci

I specially select the music based on it's lyrics...

I listen to: Bob marley, peter tosh, Rage against the machine, System of a down etc.

Rage against the machine
GUERILLA RADIO

Transmission third world war third round
A decade of the weapon of sound above ground
No shelter if you're lookin' for shade
I lick shots at the brutal charade
As the polls close like a casket
On truth devoured
A Silent play in the shadow of power
A spectacle monopolized
The camera's eyes on choice disguised
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Yes a spectacle monopolized
They hold the reins and stole your eyes
Or the fistagons
The bullets and bombs
Who stuff the banks
Who staff the party ranks
More for Gore or the son of a drug lord
None of the above **** it cut the cord

Lights out
Guerrilla Radio Turn that **** up

Contact I highjacked the frequencies
Blockin' the beltway
Move on D.C.
Way past the days of Bombin' M.C.'s
Sound off Mumia guan be free
Who gottem yo check the federal file
All you pen devils know the trial was vile
An army of pigs try to silence my style
Off 'em all out that box
It's my radio dial

Lights out
Guerrilla Radio Turn that **** up[...]

It has to start somewhere It has to start sometime
What better place than here, what better time than now?

All hell can't stop us now

1 said:

example:

Thankfully, my music either has no lyrics or pre-dates the United States. Thankfully i don't listen to music with political messages or whatever in them because... well, its annoying to listen to fact-less rhetoric no matter whos saying it and from what 'side'. For example... one of my friends loves this one song and has it as his away msg. He puts up this one lyric over and over talken about the US and how we somehow love to send people out to get killed in our military and the end line of the verse is "because most of the army is black or latino".

Because he annoys me so much, i decided to check out this statistic and no matter how you cut it, active duty/non active duty, iraq deployed/non-iraq deployed, afghan/non-afghan, front line/'higher up', navy/marines/army, reserves/active duty, it was consistently 50%+ caucasian.

Further proof, democracy doesn't work! lol jk

Last edited:
1 said:

example:

Fibonacci
Green Day's latest album bothers me a little bit, but its still in my car cd player. Its not too bad, politically. Rage, well - its rage. I listen to the music, but don't take the politics seriously. It doesn't show any intelligence that I can detect.

Anyway, it really depends. I can forsee some (can't think of one lately) that I wouldn't be able to stomach.

Last edited:
Bad Religion is probably my favorite band. They tend to lean left politically I think but they stay pretty well in the middle for the most part which is where I stand myself. I have to have respect for a punk band whose members all have a Masters or better, the lead singer holding a Phd. Other than them most of the music I listen to doesn't really contain political messages. Well actually... Dropkick Murphy's do too. They lean right but again I think the messages are more or less middle.

Related to Do you care about the politics expressed in the music?

1. What is the relationship between music and politics?

The relationship between music and politics is complex and multifaceted. Music has the power to inspire, unite, and mobilize people towards a political cause. It can also serve as a form of social commentary and protest against political systems and injustices.

2. Can music influence political beliefs?

Yes, music can influence political beliefs. Studies have shown that music has the ability to shape individual and collective attitudes towards political issues and can even sway voting behavior.

3. How do musicians express their political views through their music?

Musicians can express their political views through their lyrics, album artwork, and even their stage presence. They can also use their platform to speak out about political issues during interviews or at concerts.

4. Does the political message in music affect its popularity?

It depends. Some political music may become more popular as it resonates with certain audiences, while others may face backlash and criticism. However, the popularity of music is influenced by many factors beyond just its political message.

5. Is it important for musicians to address political issues in their music?

This is a subjective question and there is no right or wrong answer. Some may argue that it is important for musicians to use their platform to raise awareness and promote social and political change, while others believe that music should be solely for entertainment purposes.