Do universities delete the webpages of professors who die?

In summary, many questions, few answers. The deceased professor's webpage at the University of Georgia has not been deleted, but it is possible that it could be because the professor is not dead yet, not a professor, or does not have a webpage. Harvard's math dept. does have a history link, but there are no current pages for deceased professors at the University of Georgia math dept. UGA's IT guys have to give their IT guys some kind of break because they are already supporting both active and retired faculty, and dead ones too. Old professors never die, they just lose their faculties. I think the answer is yes. I looked for Newton's web page and couldn't find it. Galileo's is gone too
Simfish
Gold Member
And if they do, have there ever been exceptions? Sometimes, the webpages contain some really valuable content. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the university.

Use the Internet wayback machine to get to it.

My webpage has not been deleted?? :confused:

Come to think of it, maybe because I'm not dead yet?
Or that I'm not a professor?

Or possibly because I don't have a webpage?

Many questions, few answers...

arildno said:
My webpage has not been deleted?? :confused:

Come to think of it, maybe because I'm not dead yet?
Or that I'm not a professor?

Or possibly because I don't have a webpage?

Many questions, few answers...
:smile:

There do not seem to be current pages for deceased profs at UGA math dept. We have to give our IT guys some kind of break. They are already supporting both active and retired faculty, ... dead ones too? I can't make that case. Some of us are already dead wood.

Harvard math dept's page does have a history link, where you can learn hiow to get copies of all POhD these back to the 19th century, and names of past profs, and even a handwritten copy of a 150 year old text or two, but not web pages of the departed.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
There do not seem to be current pages for deceased profs at UGA math dept. We have to give our IT guys some kind of break. They are already supporting both active and retired faculty, ... dead ones too? I can't make that case. Some of us are already dead wood.
:biggrin:

Old professors never die, they just lose their faculties.

I think the answer is yes. I looked for Newton's web page and couldn't find it. Galileo's is gone too. Maxwell, Einstein, you name it.

I wonder what Einstein's Twitter feed would have been like.

I believe this answer is yes.

Jokes aside, sometimes this is a problem. I remember at least one very good resource that was lost when the chemistry professor retired (no idea about whether she still lives or not). Her pages were just deleted from the university (or was it college?) site. Wayback machine is of no use, as it remembers only pages with static links - so it is possible to see copy of the main page, but a huge collection of interesting and safe home/classroom experiments perished.

But whose job is it to preserve this? About once a year I get an email saying "there's a new server/configuration/template" and something needs to be changed. If the professor is no longer employed, who does this work?

Vanadium 50 said:
But whose job is it to preserve this? About once a year I get an email saying "there's a new server/configuration/template" and something needs to be changed. If the professor is no longer employed, who does this work?
Can't the Universties catalogue the pages? Hopefully professors aren't dying off at a high rate and the IT department could archive them?

That answers the question, "it's the IT department's job". But now comes the other shoe - the IT department gets its budget cut. Who do they get rid of?

Vanadium 50 said:
That answers the question, "it's the IT department's job". But now comes the other shoe - the IT department gets its budget cut. Who do they get rid of?
Is it really that hard? If the site is already hosted on their server, why not just leave them up? I see old threads here "archived". Would it be any different? Someone is taking the time to go and delete the pages. Obviously, I don't do websites, so if someone does, could they say what it would take "technically" to keep the pages on the server? Or is it a matter of legality?

If they left the servers alone, that would work. But some places seem to like to change things. Often. It seems that every time a new dean is hired, it's time to change the web pages.

Vanadium 50 said:
It seems that every time a new dean is hired, it's time to change the web pages.

Or when they hire a new head of the PR department, or a consultant who tells them they need a spiffier Web site with a new content-management system. :rolleyes:

Related to Do universities delete the webpages of professors who die?

1. What happens to a professor's webpage after they pass away?

It depends on the university's policies and procedures. Some universities may choose to keep the webpage active as a tribute to the professor, while others may choose to delete it.

2. Can family members or colleagues request to keep the webpage active?

Yes, they can. However, it ultimately depends on the university's policies and if they are willing to make an exception. It is best to contact the university directly to discuss this possibility.

3. Will the professor's webpage still be accessible for research purposes?

It depends on the university's policies and if they choose to keep the webpage active. If it is deleted, it may still be accessible through web archives or through other academic websites.

4. Can the university transfer ownership of the webpage to another faculty member?

Yes, this is a possibility. Again, it depends on the university's policies and if they are willing to make an exception. It is best to contact the university directly to discuss this possibility.

5. Is there a standard protocol for handling a professor's webpage after their passing?

No, there is not a standard protocol as it varies from university to university. It is best to check with the specific university in question for their policies and procedures.