Do These Vector Lines Intersect or Are They Skew?

In summary, the given two straight lines are skew when a=3. To find the value of a for which the lines intersect, λ=3 and μ=2 are substituted into the equations. Comparing the coefficients of K, it is found that LHS is not equal to RHS, indicating that the lines are skew. Therefore, there is no value of a for which the lines intersect. The coordinates of the point of intersection are (6, 13, -4).
lemon
1.Consider the two straight lines:
2λi+(1+4λ)j+(3-3λ)k
(4+μ)i+(3+5μ)j+(-6+μ)k

a) Show lines are skew when a=3.
b) Find value of a for which lines intersect and state coordinates of point of intersection

2λi+(1+4λ)j+(3-3λ)k=(4+μ)i+(3+5μ)j+(-6+μ)k

comparing i components:
(1)
2λ=4+μ
λ=(4+μ)/2

comparing j components:
(2)
1+4λ=3+5μ
λ=(2+5μ)/4

(1)=(2)
(4+μ)/2=(2+5μ)/4
16+4μ=4+10μ
μ=2

sub into (1)
λ=(4+μ)/2
λ=(4+2)/2
λ=3

Different values so the lines are skew

d) Find a value of a for which the lines intersect and state the coordinates of the point of intersection.
r1=2λi+(4λ+1)j+(a-3λ)k

r2=(μ+4)i+(5μ+3)j+(μ-6)k

I need to find the value of a for which the lines intersect and state the coordinates of point of intersection.

λ=3
μ=2

LHS a-3λ=μ-6
a-3(3)=2-6
a-9=-4
a=5

r2=4i+3j-6k+μ[i+5j+k]
r2=4i+3j-6k+2[i+5j+k]
r2=4i+3j-6k+2i+10j+2k
6i+13j-4k

coordinates of point of intersection are:
(6, 13, -4)

could somebody tell me if I'm on the right track here please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lemon
lemon said:
1.Consider the two straight lines:
2λi+(1+4λ)j+(3-3λ)k

It should be : 2λi+(1+4λ)j+(a-3λ)k

Different values so the lines are skew
What do you mean by "different values" ? You only find one value of λ and μ so how can you say "different values" ? To what did you compare or check it?

The rest of your work is nice. :smile:

ahh yes. I should say:
With the values of λ and μ the coefficients of K become:
LHS=3-3(3)=-6
RHS=-6+2=-4
LHS≠RHS, and so the lines are skew. I'm not sure how I would compare of check this?

Last edited:
If I don't misinterpret your post, the value of λ and μ should not be the same for the line to be skew. Check it using the third equation, comparing the k components. You'll end up LHS is not the same as RHS.

yes. Thank you songoku. The values are different and so the lines are skew.

Related to Do These Vector Lines Intersect or Are They Skew?

What are intersecting vector lines and why are they important?

Intersecting vector lines are lines that cross each other at a specific point, known as the point of intersection. They are important because they allow us to accurately represent and analyze the relationships between different objects or points in space.

How do you find the point of intersection for two vector lines?

To find the point of intersection, you can solve a system of equations using the slope-intercept form of the lines. Alternatively, you can use the properties of vectors to find the point of intersection by finding the scalar multiple of one vector that is equal to the other vector.

What does it mean if two vector lines are parallel?

If two vector lines are parallel, it means that they have the same slope and will never intersect. This also means that they will never share a common point or have a point of intersection.

Can intersecting vector lines ever be perpendicular?

Yes, intersecting vector lines can be perpendicular if they form a right angle at the point of intersection. This means that their slopes are negative reciprocals of each other.

What real-world applications use intersecting vector lines?

Intersecting vector lines have many real-world applications, such as in navigation systems, engineering designs, and computer graphics. They are also used in mathematical concepts, such as geometry and trigonometry, to solve problems involving two or more intersecting lines.