Do not understand setting lambda = 1 in proof of Euler's homogeneous function theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses Euler's homogeneous function theorem and the use of lambda=1 in proofs of the theorem. The theorem states that a differentiable function is "homogeneous of degree k" if it satisfies a specific condition. The conversation also mentions the use of this theorem in thermodynamics and the confusion over why lambda is arbitrarily set to 1 in the proof. The response explains that any scale can be used but it ultimately makes no difference in the end, and lambda=1 is used because it simplifies the proof.
clustro
As the title suggests, I do not understand why people set lambda = 1 in proofs of Euler's homogeneous function theorem.

Euler's homogeneous function theorem is:

i. Definition of homogeneity.

Given a differentiable function, [itex]f(\vec x)[/itex], that function is said to be "homogeneous of degree k" if:

[itex]f(\alpha\vec x) = \alpha^kf(\vec x)[/itex].

ii. The theorem:

Given [itex]f(\vec x)[/itex], iff it satisfies (i), then:

[tex]kf(\vec x) = \vec x \cdot \nabla f(\alpha \vec x)[/tex]

I am studying this because it is used in thermodynamics. The use there is relatively simple. Any thermodynamics function is homogeneous of degree 1 with respect to its extensive variables; e.g. if I increase the mass by a factor of 2, then my energy has increased by a factor of 2 (keeping the intensive variables constant).

The proof in this pdf is representative of the proofs I found (its on first page): http://tinyurl.com/3ky2ud5

I do not understand why they are arbitrarily setting [itex]\lambda = 1[/itex]. I understand and see that it gives the correct results, but I should be able to scale my variables by any factor of [itex]\lambda[/itex] I want.

I guess my question is really, "Why is this a proof of a general theorem, and not a proof for a singular case where [itex]\lambda = 1[/itex]."

Physics news on Phys.org

Oh, gee, sorry.

I kind of switched greek letters on you.

Wherever you see [itex]\alpha[/itex] in the first post, change it to [itex]\lambda[/itex].

That should be (without alpha)
k f=x.grad(f)
"Why is this a proof of a general theorem, and not a proof for a singular case where ."
You can use any scale you like, but it will make no difference in the end.
a=1 arises because in a derivative we consider
[f(x)-f(y)]/(x-y) with x close to y
a x is close to x when a is close to 1

x.grad(f)=lim_{a->1} [f(a x)-f(x)]/(a-1)
if f is homogeneous we have
lim_{a->0}[f(a x)-f(x)]/(a-1)=[lim_{a->1}(a^k-1^k)/(a-1)] f(x)=k f(x)

Related to Do not understand setting lambda = 1 in proof of Euler's homogeneous function theorem

1. What is Euler's homogeneous function theorem?

Euler's homogeneous function theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is homogeneous of degree n, then its partial derivatives of first order are homogeneous of degree n - 1.

2. What does it mean for a function to be homogeneous?

A function is said to be homogeneous if it satisfies the property that for any constant c, f(cx) = cnf(x), where n is the degree of homogeneity.

3. What is the significance of setting lambda = 1 in the proof of Euler's homogeneous function theorem?

Setting lambda = 1 in the proof allows us to simplify the equations and make the proof more concise. It also helps to show that the theorem holds for all values of lambda, not just when lambda = 1.

4. How does Euler's homogeneous function theorem relate to real-life applications?

Euler's homogeneous function theorem has various applications in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model physical systems that exhibit a certain degree of scaling, such as the behavior of a gas under different pressures and temperatures.

5. Is Euler's homogeneous function theorem a difficult concept to understand?

The concept of Euler's homogeneous function theorem may be challenging to grasp at first, but with practice and understanding of the underlying mathematical principles, it can be easily understood. It is a fundamental theorem in mathematics and has numerous applications, so it is worth taking the time to fully understand it.