Do low atomic numbers not obey Moseley's law?

In summary, the conversation discusses the discrepancy between the experimentally observed k-alpha value of 24.5 eV for helium and the value of 10.2 eV predicted by Moseley's law. Further research reveals that Moseley's law is only applicable for elements with a z value greater than or equal to 10, and the assumption that one electron shields the nucleus and should be replaced by z-1 in the Rydberg formula is not entirely accurate. The effect of shielding is slightly less than expected and should be taken into account. The question is then raised as to why this effect is not applicable as we move up in the periodic table for elements with a z value greater than or equal to 10.
mukul
Helium has k-alpha of 24.5 eV whereas if we derive it using Moseley's law, then it is supposed to be 10.2 eV

Also I then looked into many sources and found that Moseley's graph talks about elements having z>=10 only

Later I found in few sources that the assumption that "one electron shields the nucleus and thus we should replace Z by Z-1 in Rydberg formula" is not entirely correct
[tex]E=13.6(Z-1)^2(\frac{1}{1^2}-\frac{1}{2^2})[/tex]
as the effect due to shielding is little less than expected and should be taken into account.
source: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ion-energy-than-hydrogen.454607/#post-3028358

My question is why is this effect (that K-shell electron's shielding effect is less than 1) not applicable as we move up in the periodic table i.e. for z>=10

Ok i will try to reword my question. Why does Moseley's law applicable only on z>10. What property changes after z=10.

Related to Do low atomic numbers not obey Moseley's law?

1. What is Moseley's Law?

Moseley's Law states that the frequency of x-ray emission from a chemical element is directly proportional to the square of its atomic number.

2. How does Moseley's Law relate to atomic numbers?

Moseley's Law is based on the idea that each element has a unique atomic number, and the frequency of x-ray emission is directly proportional to the square of that number.

3. Do all elements follow Moseley's Law?

Yes, all elements with a high atomic number follow Moseley's Law. However, some elements with low atomic numbers do not strictly obey the law.

4. Why do low atomic numbers not obey Moseley's Law?

Low atomic numbers do not obey Moseley's Law because they have fewer electrons, which can lead to a less precise measurement of the x-ray emission frequency.

5. How is Moseley's Law used in modern science?

Moseley's Law is still used in modern science to study the properties of chemical elements and to determine their atomic numbers. It is also used in x-ray spectroscopy and other advanced techniques for analyzing materials.