Do I understand at all what Verlinde is saying?

• Thread starter Jimster41
  • Start date
In summary, Professor Verlinde is proposing that the gravitational force is caused by the change in entropy. He is using the holographic screen as an example to explain how this works.
Jimster41
UnderstandingVerlinde1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be nicer if you had posted the text and references directly as there is no easy way to click on your links while they embedded in your image.

PF supports latex so you have posted it that way.

I posted as a .png file because the Daum Equation Editor "Tex" output wasn't friendly to the interpreter here. Not sure why. Still trying to figure out why the Daum Tex output is picky.

The references are totally stock. I have not manipulated them at all. I thought they would be pretty recognizable:

for "Spacetime" and "Hubble" expansion I'm quoting directly from
"Principles of Physical Cosmology", P.J.E. Peebles Princeton University Press, 1993 pp 11,71

For General Relativity statement I just quote a layman's definition, that I thought was complete enough for the purpose.

For Entropy I went to Wiki and plucked the stock "Boltzman" version. Again I was imagining these would be pretty recognizable statements from the Standard Model and wouldn't need much reference. I am not manipulating them at all, or trying to say anything new. I'm just trying to understand what pieces of existing theory Prof. Verlinde is putting together - to derive gravitational force from entropy.

The big question, just trying to get some sense of what he's proposing: Is invoking Entropy also invoking Hubble? I thought this was the key part of his argument... I interpreted the holographic screen as a barrier between state i and state j that an ensemble even at rest in space must cross (in time), and which has the critical effect of changing that ensemble's entropy. Space is expanding, clock ticks, Ensemble's entropy has changed just because it is now spread across more possible states. If entropy is changed then there is an acceleration of that ensemble (changed relative probability of arrangement i) even when at rest, and it therefore experiences force and is considered to have mass.

Last edited:

Related to Do I understand at all what Verlinde is saying?

What is Verlinde's theory?

Verlinde's theory, also known as the entropic gravity theory, proposes that gravity is not a fundamental force but rather an emergent phenomenon from the way particles interact with each other.

How does Verlinde's theory explain gravity?

Verlinde's theory suggests that gravity is caused by the tendency of particles to increase their entropy, or disorder, as they move. This creates an apparent force of attraction between objects with mass.

What is the evidence for Verlinde's theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for Verlinde's theory. However, it has been shown to be mathematically consistent and has been successfully applied to explain the rotation curves of galaxies and the acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

How does Verlinde's theory differ from Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Verlinde's theory differs from general relativity in that it does not rely on the concept of a gravitational force or the existence of a gravitational field. Instead, it explains gravity as an emergent property of the universe.

Is Verlinde's theory widely accepted by the scientific community?

Verlinde's theory is still a controversial topic and is not yet widely accepted by the scientific community. While it has gained some support and has been explored in various research studies, more evidence is needed to fully validate the theory.