Do different forms of Green's functions give same result?

In summary: It is important to note that all forms of the Green's function are valid solutions, but they may lead to different results depending on the specific problem being solved. In summary, the choice of Green's function should be made carefully, considering the specific problem and its boundary conditions.
Atman
I'm solving Helmholtz equation in a cylindrical coordinate. With boundary conditions be Neumann type, I can write several satisfactory forms of the Green's function, right? (for example, I can make the discontinuity of the derivative of the Green's function in the radial part, or in the z direction part.) Then I use them to get a solution for a specific problem with a source inside the cylinder, will they give the same solution?

Apparently, they are written in different forms. When I study the properties of these solutions, I find that in one form, it will give divergence at some point, while the other one won't at the same point. That makes me very confused! Should they be the same, even though I'm using different forms of the Green's function? I thought they should at least be equivalent. If that's not the case, I don't understand why people can choose whatever form of the Green's function they like when they tackle the problem.

FYI, the boundary condition is the derivative vanishes at the top, the bottom and also the inner surface of the cylinder.

Really appreciate your help if you can clarify it:)

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to a Helmholtz equation with Neumann boundary conditions should be the same regardless of which form of Green's function is used. This is because the boundary conditions are the same, and the forms of the Green's functions will all satisfy the same boundary conditions. However, the Green's functions may differ in terms of their behavior inside the domain. For example, one might have a divergence at a certain point while the other does not. In this case, one should be careful when choosing which Green's function to use, since it can affect the behavior of the solution inside the domain.

Related to Do different forms of Green's functions give same result?

1. How do different forms of Green's functions differ from each other?

Different forms of Green's functions are derived from different mathematical models and boundary conditions, leading to variations in their mathematical expressions and properties. However, they all serve the same purpose of solving differential equations in physics and engineering problems.

2. Can different forms of Green's functions be used interchangeably?

No, different forms of Green's functions are not interchangeable as their mathematical expressions and properties differ. It is important to use the appropriate form of Green's function for a specific problem to ensure accurate results.

3. How do I know which form of Green's function to use for a specific problem?

The choice of Green's function depends on the type of differential equation and boundary conditions of the problem. It is important to analyze the problem carefully to determine the appropriate form of Green's function to use.

4. Are there any advantages to using one form of Green's function over another?

Yes, certain forms of Green's functions may be more efficient or easier to use for specific problems. It is important to explore and compare different forms to determine the most suitable one for a particular problem.

5. Can the same problem be solved using different forms of Green's functions?

Yes, the same problem can be solved using different forms of Green's functions. However, the results may differ slightly due to the variations in mathematical expressions and properties. It is important to choose the most appropriate form to ensure accurate results.