Do Commuting Observables in Quantum Physics Share Common Eigenfunctions?

In summary, the conversation covered two main points. First, it was confirmed that two commuting Hermitian matrices have common eigenvectors. Second, there was a discussion about the concept of electron spin and its relationship with relativity and classical mechanics. It was determined that electron spin is a purely quantum-mechanical effect with no macroscopic analogue, and that it was initially proposed by Pauli, not Dirac. The conversation ended with good luck wishes for an upcoming exam.
IHateMayonnaise
[SOLVED] Silly Quantum Physics questions

I'm afraid to say that I have a test in my undergraduate Quantum Physics course tomorrow. I feel prepared for the most part - but I am trying to tie everything we're learning together. In hopes of doing this, I have a couple questions that I would like some feedback on (I will probably have more, and when I do I will update this thread).

1) When two observables commute (say, [tex]\hat{L_z}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{L^2}[/tex]), does this imply that they have common Eigenfunctions?

2) (Tell me if this is right, probably not going to be on the test but I would still like to know) Dirac proposed that particles must have an intrinsic spin incorporated into them so that Quantum Mechanics would not contradict relativity - thus requiring that particles have a finite structure, even though experimental data does not agree. Therefore electrons "orbiting" the nucleus are not in fact transversing space as we know it (with a calculatable velocity), rather they are taking "quantum jumps" - as to not violate relativity and travel faster than the speed of light. This regards spin as a purely quantum-mechanical effect, and there is no macroscopic analogue.

Thanks Yall

IHateMayonnaise

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Two commuting Hermitian matrices have common eigenvectors.

2) I'm not sure if Dirac proposed that. I think it was Pauli. Dirac gave an explanation for it in terms of relativity. And I don't think he considered spin to be a result of finite structure.

You use "therefore" and "thus" pretty loosely. In any event, it's not really meaningful to ask what the electron is doing. It's wavefunction is a smeared blob around the nucleus, and electronic transitions are continuous evolutions of one state/blob into another.

Ordinary (1 particle) quantum mechanics is not relativistic and violates relativity quite explicitly. But it does pretty well regardless.

IHateMayonnaise said:
1) When two observables commute (say, [tex]\hat{L_z}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{L^2}[/tex]), does this imply that they have common Eigenfunctions?

Yes, this is a general mathematical fact.
IHateMayonnaise said:
2)... rather they are taking "quantum jumps" - as to not violate relativity and travel faster than the speed of light.

What do you mean by "quantum jumps"? Transitions from one quantum state into another?
Godd luck for you exam tomorrow!

Therefore electrons "orbiting" the nucleus are not in fact transversing space as we know it (with a calculatable velocity), rather they are taking "quantum jumps" - as to not violate relativity and travel faster than the speed of light. This regards spin as a purely quantum-mechanical effect, and there is no macroscopic analogue.
That part is right (the frequent use of "therefore"'s notwithstanding). Another motivation for electron spin was the fact that if the electron were orbiting like a planet, it would lose energ and collapse into the positvely charged nucleus. Since this doesn't happen, the only conclusion is what you said above. That has as much to do with relativity as it does with Newtonian mechanics. And it's also right that there is no classical analogue. So what is "spinning?" It probably wasn't the best word choice, but between the Danish, German, and English that was being thrown around back then, you can't really blame them. :)

Related to Do Commuting Observables in Quantum Physics Share Common Eigenfunctions?

1. What is quantum physics and why is it considered "silly"?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. It is considered "silly" because it often deals with strange and counterintuitive phenomena that are difficult to understand or explain in everyday terms.

2. Can quantum physics explain paranormal or supernatural phenomena?

No, quantum physics is a scientific theory that is based on empirical evidence and mathematical models. It cannot be used to validate or explain unproven concepts such as the paranormal or supernatural.

3. Does quantum physics prove the existence of alternate universes?

While some theories in quantum physics, such as the Many-Worlds Interpretation, suggest the possibility of alternate universes, there is currently no scientific evidence to support this idea.

4. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are physically separated. The exact mechanism of how this happens is still not fully understood, but it is a well-documented phenomenon in quantum physics.

5. Can quantum computers solve problems faster than classical computers?

Yes, quantum computers have the potential to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers, thanks to their ability to perform multiple calculations simultaneously. However, they are still in the early stages of development and are not yet capable of solving all types of problems.