Djvu and Latex downloads for Windows XP - What to Download & How

In summary, DjVu is a digital document format with advanced compression technology, similar to PDF. For Windows XP users, it is recommended to download MikTeX for using \LaTeX, along with an editor like WinEdt or LEd. The Not So Short Introduction to \LaTeX and other tutorials can be found online for those looking to learn how to use it.
qspeechc
Can someone explain what Djvu (.djvu files) is, and I notice there are several versions one can get- which one should I download if I have Windows XP?

Also, I need to get Latex to create equations- which version should i download and how do I go about it? Also, can you recommend a text that introduces how to use Latex in general, and for scientific/mathematics usage?

Thank-you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
djvu seems to be something like PDF, but with very strong compression
djvu.org said:
DjVu (pronounced "déjà vu") is a digital document format with advanced compression technology and high performance value. DjVu allows for the distribution on the Internet and on DVD of very high resolution images of scanned documents, digital documents, and photographs. DjVu viewers are available for the web browser, the desktop, and PDA devices.

If you want to use [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] on Windows, I suggest MikTeX (http://miktex.org/) - it comes with a graphical installer and should work right out-of-the box. To easily edit and [tex]\TeX[/tex] your files, you might want to get an editor like WinEdt (http://www.winedt.com/) or LEd (http://www.latexeditor.org/).

For an introduction to LaTeX, I can recommend the Not So Short Introduction To [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] (www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf[/url]) or something shorter and more to-the-point (Google for "latex tutorial", something like [url]http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/[/URL] maybe?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thanks.

Related to Djvu and Latex downloads for Windows XP - What to Download & How

1. What is Djvu and Latex?

Djvu and Latex are typesetting systems used for creating high-quality documents, particularly for scientific and technical publications. Djvu is primarily used for digital documents, while Latex is commonly used for printed documents.

2. Why would I need to download Djvu and Latex for Windows XP?

If you are a scientist or researcher, you may need to create documents with complex equations or specialized formatting. Djvu and Latex are powerful tools that allow you to easily create professional-looking documents with these elements.

3. How do I download Djvu and Latex for Windows XP?

You can download Djvu and Latex from their respective websites. Make sure you choose the version that is compatible with Windows XP. Once the download is complete, follow the installation instructions provided by the software.

4. Are there any alternatives to Djvu and Latex for Windows XP?

Yes, there are other typesetting systems available for Windows XP, such as Microsoft Word or Adobe InDesign. However, Djvu and Latex are specifically designed for scientific and technical documents, making them more efficient and user-friendly for these purposes.

5. Are Djvu and Latex free to download?

Yes, both Djvu and Latex are open-source software and are free to download and use. This means that they are constantly being updated and improved by a community of developers, making them reliable and frequently used tools among scientists and researchers.