Division Algorithm: Understand Unique c & d

In summary: This theorem is very useful in solving equations.In summary, the theorem states that in certain cases, there are two integers that are unique, and together they satisfy a certain equation.
chimath35
So, the division algorithm states that if a and b are integers with a>0 then there exist c and d integers such that

0<=d<a

b=ac+d

d and c are unique

Now I don't understand d and c being unique. For example 4*3 + 3 = 15 where a=4 c=3 d=3 b=15
c and d are not unique, or maybe I don't know what unique means?

Physics news on Phys.org
chimath35 said:
So, the division algorithm states that if a and b are integers with a>0 then there exist c and d integers such that

0<=d<a

b=ac+d

d and c are unique

Now I don't understand d and c being unique. For example 4*3 + 3 = 15 where a=4 c=3 d=3 b=15
c and d are not unique, or maybe I don't know what unique means?

15 = 5*3 + 0, with 'remainder' d = 0. In your example, the remainder was d = 3, which is not strictly less than 3 as was required in the theorem.

Likes 1 person
I don't get it. I divided 15 by 4; so this theorem doesn't work for all numbers?

chimath35 said:
...or maybe I don't know what unique means?

Did you expect c ≠ d? That's not what unique means. It just means that there is only one combination of c and d. So c=3, d=3 is a solution for a=4, b=15 (ie. 15/4 = 3 + 3/4), and there are no other combinations of c and d that also work.

Likes 1 person
So all I should really take from this theorem is that given two integers (b>0) there is always one and only one solution for c and d I take it...

Yup, that's how I read it.

Likes 1 person
end thread

Last edited:
Sorry nevermind c must be the gcf here so I guess I should take out of it that if an int. divides the gcf then it also divides a and b

chimath35 said:
I don't get it. I divided 15 by 4; so this theorem doesn't work for all numbers?

No; the theorem works perfectly well, but only if you do not mis-use it. Your example did NOT have d < a, and that is why it does not apply to your example. For example, if I divide 17 by 3 I have 17 = 3*5 + 2, with remainder 2 < 3. The theorem guarantees that if I write 17 = 3*q + r, with integers q,r ≥ 0 and r < 3, then I absolutely must have q = 5 and r = 2; no other two will work.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, so like I said it only works in some cases. I guess it would be useful somewhere but it seems limited, this theorem.

I honestly think it is just kind of confusing the fact it only works sometimes, but that is just me. Then again it worked fine in my example so I don't get why the restriction is there.

I am still looking at this perplexed as if there is a hole in the theorem. I don't get the d<a in my example there still only exists one unique pair.

LOL! Wow, we got each other confused! Look at my example d is less than a.

chimath35 said:
LOL! Wow, we got each other confused! Look at my example d is less than a.

You need to use the quote button when you respond; otherwise there is no way to tell which message you are replying to. I cannot figure out who or what is confusing you.

To avoid confusion, let's use a standard notation: we want the division ##n/d##, where ##n,d## are non-negative integers and ##d > 0##. (Here, I use 'n' for numerator and 'd' for denominator.) The theorem says there are two unique integers ##q \geq 0## (the quotient) and ##r \: (0 \leq r < d)## (the remainder) such that
[tex] \frac{n}{d} = q + \frac{r}{d},\\
\text{or }\\
n = q d + r[/tex]

Related to Division Algorithm: Understand Unique c & d

1. What is the Division Algorithm?

The Division Algorithm is a mathematical concept that allows us to divide two numbers and determine their quotient and remainder. It is also known as the Euclidean Division Algorithm.

2. How does the Division Algorithm work?

The Division Algorithm works by repeatedly subtracting the divisor from the dividend until the remainder is less than the divisor. The number of times the divisor is subtracted is the quotient, and the final remainder is the remainder of the division.

3. What is the unique c and d in the Division Algorithm?

The unique c and d in the Division Algorithm represent the quotient and remainder, respectively. These values are unique because they are the only possible values that can satisfy the equation c × d = dividend - divisor.

4. Why is it important to understand unique c and d in the Division Algorithm?

Understanding unique c and d in the Division Algorithm allows us to accurately divide numbers and determine their quotient and remainder. It is also useful in solving various mathematical problems and equations.

5. How is the Division Algorithm used in real-life situations?

The Division Algorithm is used in various real-life situations, such as dividing goods equally among a group of people, calculating the number of items in a given quantity, and determining the number of days or weeks in a given time period.