Divergence what am I doing wrong

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
In summary, the conversation is about finding the divergence of a function in polar coordinates. The person is trying to calculate it by hand and has made a subtle mistake in transforming the components of the function. They need to transform the basis vectors to find the correct components and the divergence should vanish identically in polar coordinates.
FrogPad
I don't understand what I am doing wrong here.

I'm supposed to show that this function is divergence free.

[tex] \vec v = \left( \frac{x}{x^2+y^2}, \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \right) [/tex]

I ran the divergence through with my TI-89 at it equals 0. But, I want to calculate it by hand, so it would be easier to do this in polar coordinates (and this is my problem).

[tex] \vec v(r,\theta) = \left ( \frac{\cos \theta}{r}, \frac{\sin \theta}{r} \left) [/tex]

Standard divergence in cylindrical coordinates (dropping the z component)
[tex] div\,\, \vec u = \frac{1}{r} \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (rF_r) +\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} (F_\theta) \right) [/tex]

[tex] div\,\, \vec v = \frac{1}{r}\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (\cos \theta ) + \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\left (\frac{\sin \theta}{r} \right) \right) [/tex]

Now this is obviously not 0, since the [itex] \sin \theta [/itex] is not going anywhere with the partials. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
FrogPad said:
[tex] \vec v(r,\theta) = \left ( \frac{\cos \theta}{r}, \frac{\sin \theta}{r} \left) [/tex]

You made a subtle mistake here. Your vector above is still just [itex]
\vec{v}=(v_x,v_y)[/itex]. You just changed the expressions for the components. You do not have [itex]\vec{v}=(v_r,v_{\theta})[/itex] yet. To get that you have to transform the basis vectors from [itex]\hat{e}_x[/itex] and [itex]\hat{e}_y[/itex] to [itex]\hat{e}_r[/itex] and [itex]\hat{e}_{\theta}[/itex].

I'm pretty sure I follow what you are saying. Well, I at least understand it. I am unfortunatly too tired to tackle it, so I will do it in the morning... But I should be good with what you said :)

thanks man

...but I think he's pretty much there.

Since the [tex]\cos[/tex] and [tex]\sin[/tex] are bounded, and [tex]1/r\rightarrow 0[/tex] as [tex]r\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

(with the exception at [tex]r=0[/tex])

No, he is not even close. This has nothing to do with taking a limit. The divergence should vanish identically in polar coordinates, just as it does in rectangular coordinates. His mistake is exactly what I said it was: He is plugging the rectangular components of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] into the polar form of [itex]\vec{\nabla}[/itex].

[itex]v_x=\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}=\frac{\cos(\theta)}{r}[/itex]
Note that this is still just [itex]v_x[/itex]

[itex]v_y=\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}=\frac{\sin(\theta)}{r}[/itex]
Note that this is still just [itex]v_y[/itex]

He needs to find the components [itex]v_r[/itex] and [itex]v_{\theta}[/itex], which both contain contributions from [itex]v_x[/itex] and [itex]v_y[/itex]. This is done by transforming the basis vectors, just like I said.

Tom Mattson said:
No, he is not even close. This has nothing to do with taking a limit.
I'm having a very bad brain day :frown:

Related to Divergence what am I doing wrong

What is divergence?

Divergence refers to the spreading apart or separation of a set of data or values. In science, it is often used to describe the expansion of a physical system or the deviation of a trend from a predicted outcome.

Why is divergence important in science?

Divergence is important because it can indicate that something unexpected or significant is happening within a system. It can also help scientists identify patterns or trends that may not be immediately apparent.

What can cause divergence in scientific data?

Divergence can be caused by a variety of factors, such as errors in data collection, changes in environmental conditions, or the presence of unaccounted variables. It can also be a natural occurrence in complex systems.

How can I identify divergence in my scientific data?

To identify divergence, you can plot your data on a graph and look for trends or patterns that deviate from your expected outcome. You can also use statistical methods, such as regression analysis, to determine if there is significant divergence in your data.

What should I do if I find divergence in my results?

If you find divergence in your results, it is important to carefully review your methods and data to ensure accuracy. You may also want to consider seeking the advice of other scientists in your field or conducting further experiments to confirm your findings.