Divergence Theorem: Multiplied by Scalar Field

In summary, the conversation discusses using the divergence theorem to work out the integral of the product of a scalar field and a vector field on the right-hand side. The integrand is found to be the product rule of the scalar field and the components of the vector field. Further discussion focuses on using the product rule to prove the validity of the equation.
YayMathYay

Homework Statement

whupg.png

Homework Equations

Definitely related to the divergence theorem (we're working on it):

wEw1l.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit confused about multiplying a scalar field f into those integrals on the RHS, and I'm not sure if they can be taken out or not. If they can be, I evaluated the RHS out to be 0 (zero), which doesn't make sense with my evaluation of the LHS, which is just grad f dotted into F.

On the other hand, if it CAN'T be taken out of the integral, I'm at a loss as of how this relates to the divergence theorem..
I'm not sure what I'm missing here :( Help would be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
YayMathYay said:

Homework Statement

whupg.png

Homework Equations

Definitely related to the divergence theorem (we're working on it):

wEw1l.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit confused about multiplying a scalar field f into those integrals on the RHS, and I'm not sure if they can be taken out or not. If they can be, I evaluated the RHS out to be 0 (zero), which doesn't make sense with my evaluation of the LHS, which is just grad f dotted into F.

On the other hand, if it CAN'T be taken out of the integral, I'm at a loss as of how this relates to the divergence theorem..
I'm not sure what I'm missing here :( Help would be very much appreciated!

Start by using the divergence theorem on the first term on the right$$
\iint_{\partial R}(f\vec F)\cdot \hat n\, dA = \iiint_R\nabla \cdot (f\vec F)\, dV$$Work out that ##\nabla \cdot (f\vec F)## in the integrand and go from there.

First show,
[tex]\nabla \cdot (fF)=\nabla f \cdot F+f \nabla \cdot F[/tex]
If you write it out in components it's just the product rule.

This is the product rule
[tex]\nabla \cdot (\psi\mathbf{A}) = \mathbf{A} \cdot\nabla\psi + \psi\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A}[/tex]
wrapped up with the divergence theorem.

LCKurtz said:
Start by using the divergence theorem on the first term on the right$$
\iint_{\partial R}(f\vec F)\cdot \hat n\, dA = \iiint_R\nabla \cdot (f\vec F)\, dV$$Work out that ##\nabla \cdot (f\vec F)## in the integrand and go from there.

For the integrand, I'm getting:
[itex]\partial (f A) / \partial x + \partial (f B) / \partial y + \partial (f C) / \partial z [/itex], where [itex]\vec F = (A, B, C)[/itex]

Am I on the right track?

Dick said:
First show,
[tex]\nabla \cdot (fF)=\nabla f \cdot F+f \nabla \cdot F[/tex]
If you write it out in components it's just the product rule.

Double Post, but:

Ahh so if I use the Divergence Thm as LCKurtz suggested on the first term on the RHS, I get the product rule in the form:

[tex]\nabla f \cdot F = \nabla \cdot (fF) - f \nabla \cdot F[/tex]

Except with the terms as integrands. I'm not sure if this is sufficient to prove the validity of the equation though? I'm sorry guys, I feel like you guys are putting the answer right in my face but I'm just not getting it :(

YayMathYay said:
For the integrand, I'm getting:
[itex]\partial (f A) / \partial x + \partial (f B) / \partial y + \partial (f C) / \partial z [/itex], where [itex]\vec F = (A, B, C)[/itex]

Am I on the right track?

Assuming ##\vec F = \langle A,B,C\rangle##, Yes. Keep going...

Related to Divergence Theorem: Multiplied by Scalar Field

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical concept that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the vector field within the region enclosed by the surface.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem related to the Scalar Field?

The Divergence Theorem can be multiplied by a Scalar Field to calculate the total flux or flow of the vector field through the surface. This allows for the calculation of the net flow of a vector field through a surface, taking into account the strength and direction of the field at each point.

3. What is the significance of multiplying the Divergence Theorem by a Scalar Field?

Multiplying the Divergence Theorem by a Scalar Field allows for a more accurate calculation of the total flux of a vector field through a surface, by taking into account the varying strength and direction of the field at different points on the surface.

4. How is the Divergence Theorem used in scientific research?

The Divergence Theorem is commonly used in mathematical modeling and simulations to analyze the behavior of vector fields in different systems. It is also used in various fields of science, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, to study the flow of various physical quantities.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Divergence Theorem multiplied by a Scalar Field?

While the Divergence Theorem is a useful tool for calculating the total flux of a vector field through a surface, it has limitations. For example, it assumes that the vector field is continuous and differentiable within the region of interest, which may not always be the case in real-world systems.