Divergence Theorem: Gauss & Cross-Product Integration

In summary, the Gauss divergence theorem states that if a vector field is directed along a line segment and its divergence is measured along that segment, then the divergence along the line segment is the sum of the divergence along the line segment and the divergence along the direction of the vector field.
Apashanka
From gauss divergence theorem it is known that ##\int_v(\nabla • u)dv=\int_s(u•ds)## but what will be then ##\int_v(\nabla ×u)dv##
Any hint??
The result is given as ##\int_s (ds×u)##

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
I had to look this one up in the appendix of an E&M (electricity and magnetism) textbook. I have never used it in any application.
With ## \int \nabla p \, dv =\int p \, \hat{n} ds ##, where the force per unit volume in a fluid is ## f_v=-\nabla p ## and must balance the force of gravity per unit volume ## f_g=-\rho g \hat{z} ##, I have done another proof of Archimedes principle.
Yes, you have it correct, and if you take ## u \times ds ##, it gets a minus sign.

Charles Link said:
I had to look this one up in the appendix of an E&M (electricity and magnetism) textbook. I have never used it in any application.
With ## \int \nabla p \, dv =\int p \, \hat{n} ds ##, where the force per unit volume in a fluid is ## f_v=-\nabla p ## and must balance the force of gravity per unit volume ## f_g=-\rho g \hat{z} ##, I have done another proof of Archimedes principle.
Yes, you have it correct, and if you take ## u \times ds ##, it gets a minus sign.
Sir actually I came across this formula ##\int_v(\nabla×u)dv=\int_s(ds×u) ##,but sir I want to just prove this formula once by hand ,but didn't get any idea or hint of how to start with... that's why sir I am asking this...

Likes Charles Link
Let [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] be an arbitrary constant vector field and consider [tex]
\mathbf{c} \cdot \int_V \nabla \times \mathbf{u}\,dV = \int_V \mathbf{c} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{u})\,dV
= \int_V \nabla \cdot (\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{c})\,dV.[/tex]

Likes Apashanka and Charles Link
Ok sir then ##\int_v\nabla•(u×c)dv=\int_s(u×c)•ds=\int_s(u_jc_k-u_kc_j)ds_i+(u_kc_i-u_ic_k)ds_j+(u_ic_j-u_jc_i)ds_k##rearranging terms having ##c_i,c_j## and ##c_k## coefficients it becomes ##-\int_s(u×ds)•c## and for c being a constt vector Rhs becomes ##\int_v(c•(\nabla×u))##
Thanks @pasmith and @Charles Link

Likes Charles Link

Related to Divergence Theorem: Gauss & Cross-Product Integration

What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the triple integral of the divergence of the vector field over the region enclosed by the surface. It is also known as the Gauss's Theorem or Ostrogradsky's Theorem.

What is the significance of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is important because it allows us to calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface by only considering the behavior of the vector field inside the surface. This makes it a very useful tool in many areas of physics and engineering, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

What is the relationship between Gauss's Theorem and the Divergence Theorem?

Gauss's Theorem is another name for the Divergence Theorem, named after the famous mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss who first proved it. Both terms can be used interchangeably to refer to the same theorem.

What is the role of cross-product integration in the Divergence Theorem?

Cross-product integration is used in the proof of the Divergence Theorem. It involves taking the cross product of two vectors and integrating it over a surface to calculate the flux of a vector field through that surface. This integration technique is crucial in understanding and applying the Divergence Theorem.

How is the Divergence Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Divergence Theorem has many practical applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is used to calculate the flow of fluids through pipes, the distribution of electric charge, and the transfer of heat in various systems. It is also used in the study of weather patterns and ocean currents.