Divergence of a cross product help

In summary, the proof for the identity uses scaling factors. If you don't include the scaling factors, the proof is still valid. However, if you want to take the scaling factors out of the derivative, you can use the chain rule.
simba_lk
I need to prove the identity: [itex]\nabla[/itex]([itex]\vec{A} \times \vec{B}[/itex])=[itex]\vec{B} \bullet[/itex]([itex]\nabla \times \vec{A}[/itex]) - [itex]\vec{A} \bullet[/itex]( [itex]\nabla \times \vec{B}[/itex])

I need to prove for an arbitrary coordinate system, meaning I have scaling factors.

The proof should be quite straight forward if you use the levi chevita symbol but so far this is what i have:

[itex]\nabla[/itex]([itex]\vec{A} \times \vec{B}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}[/itex]( [itex]\frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} B_{k}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}[/itex]( [itex]\frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} B_{k}[/itex]) [itex]\ast \hat{e_{i}} \bullet \hat{e_{i}}[/itex]

But I can't see how to take it into the desired format
I think I should squeeze in a kroncker delta somehow, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to do the proof without the scaling factors?

Yes, I just tried and it works fine even without the addition of unit vectors and the delta.
My problem is that I cannot take the scaling factors in or out of the derivative.
Perhaps I missed somthing?

Would these scaling factors perhaps be constants? Or are they functions of one or more of the coordinates?

Of course they are functions, consider for instance spherical coordinates

I'd try simplifying ##\frac{h_1 h_2 h_3}{h_i}## to ##h_j h_k##. Then I think you just have to apply the product rule and grind it out.

This is my idea too but how can take the scaling factor out of the derivative?

I don't know why you want to fool with h or moving it. Just use the chain rule to hold each vector fixed in turn.

$$\dfrac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{dt}}u=\dfrac{\mathrm{dx}}{\mathrm{dt}}\dfrac{\partial}{\partial x}u+\dfrac{\mathrm{dy}}{\mathrm{dt}} \dfrac{\partial} {\partial y}u$$

in your example

$$\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} B_{k}) =\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} (B_{k})_\mathrm{fixed}) +\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} (A_{j})_\mathrm{fixed} B_{k}) $$

Ok but this doesn't prove the identity, if you look at the definition of the curl in curvilinear coordinates

Once variables are fixed they can move through derivatives and the identity is easily proven

$$\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} B_{k}) =(B_{k})_\mathrm{fixed} \frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} ) +(A_{j})_\mathrm{fixed} \frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} B_{k}) $$

Hint:
$$\nabla\cdot(\vec{A} \times \vec{B})
= \frac{1}{h_1 h_2 h_3} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} [h_j h_k \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} B_{k}]
= \frac{1}{h_1 h_2 h_3} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} [\epsilon_{ijk} (h_j A_j) (h_k B_k)]$$

thanks a lot

Related to Divergence of a cross product help

1. What is the definition of the divergence of a cross product?

The divergence of a cross product is a mathematical operation that measures the net flow of a vector field through a given point. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator, also known as the nabla operator.

2. How is the divergence of a cross product related to the curl of a vector field?

The divergence of a cross product is related to the curl of a vector field through the fundamental theorem of calculus for vector fields, also known as Stokes' theorem. This theorem states that the integral of the curl of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the line integral of the vector field over the boundary of the surface.

3. What are some real-world applications of the divergence of a cross product?

The divergence of a cross product has many applications in physics and engineering, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is used to calculate the flow of fluids, the distribution of electric and magnetic fields, and the transfer of heat in various systems.

4. How is the divergence of a cross product calculated?

The divergence of a cross product is calculated using the del operator, which is represented by the symbol ∇. The del operator is applied to the cross product of two vectors, and the resulting expression is then simplified and evaluated at a given point in the vector field.

5. Are there any alternative methods for calculating the divergence of a cross product?

Yes, there are alternative methods for calculating the divergence of a cross product, such as using the divergence theorem or using Cartesian coordinates instead of the del operator. However, the del operator method is the most commonly used and most efficient method for calculating the divergence of a cross product.