Distribution of acceleration over axes

In summary, the player needs to kick the ball with an initial velocity to get it to the desired location.
JamieJoe

Homework Statement

Hi,
I am working making a soccer game in a game engine and encountered a problem with calculating what velocity a ball has to be kicked into get from A to B.

the ball has to be passed (on a flat surface with friction coefficient of 0.35) from point A to point B, but since this is a 3d world the ball's velocity will be over 2 axes (the z axis velocity will always be 0).
distance between point A to point B is known and so is the required travel time.
this means i should be able to find the required initial velocity to get from A to B using :
Vi = (displacement / time) - (0.5 * acceleration * time);
but i must use this formula separately for each of the 2 axes (x and y), and the acceleration value seems to be different for each of these axes.

to calculate the acceleration (or rather deceleration) i found that i can use gravity * friction coefficient), but the value i get needs to somehow be distributed over the 2 axes in which movement occurs.

Homework Equations

I was able to run the simulation and have the ball roll along the surface, and by comparing its velocities over time i was able to deduct that the acceleration being applied to it has a vector length which equals gravity * friction coefficient; But i am unsure on how to calculate the acceleration per axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried looking up all relevant formulas, which initially lead me to try and having a physically accurate ball movement in my simulation, and further research (or rather, debugging) lead me to find that my actual problem was not thinking about these formulas in 3d terms

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like the ball is being modeled like some idealized hockey puck: it never leaves the surface, doesn't spin, and experiences kinetic friction with the surface.
Realism of the sim aside...

If the player/ball is initially at position ##\vec r_0=(0,0)## and you want to get it to position ##\vec r_1 = (x,y)##, then it has to have initial velocity ##\vec v = (x,y)v/s## where ##s=|\vec r_1|##.

You know how to find ##s##: it's just the distance to the new position ... so the magnitude ##v## needs to be found.
You don't need to break it down into components to do this, the acceleration is ##\vec a = -(x,y)\mu g/s## and you can do your working in magnitudes.
Look for a suvat equation that has no "t" in it ... the time to get there does not matter if you just want the minimum speed to get it there.

This all works because ##(x,y)/s## is a unit vector pointing from the start to the finish of the motion.

Related to Distribution of acceleration over axes

1. What is meant by "distribution of acceleration over axes"?

The distribution of acceleration over axes refers to the way in which acceleration is distributed or spread out over different directions or axes. This can include both the magnitude and direction of acceleration.

2. Why is it important to consider the distribution of acceleration over axes?

The distribution of acceleration over axes is important because it can affect the overall motion and stability of an object. Understanding how acceleration is distributed can also help in predicting and controlling the movement of objects.

3. How is the distribution of acceleration over axes measured?

The distribution of acceleration over axes can be measured using various tools and techniques such as accelerometers, force plates, and motion capture systems. These tools can provide data on the magnitude and direction of acceleration in different axes.

4. What factors can affect the distribution of acceleration over axes?

The distribution of acceleration over axes can be affected by several factors such as the shape and mass of an object, the forces acting on the object, and the surface or environment on which the object is moving.

5. How does the distribution of acceleration over axes relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The distribution of acceleration over axes is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, particularly the second law which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The distribution of acceleration over axes can help in determining the net force and its direction acting on an object.