Distance measurement by means of optical interferometry

In summary, the speaker has been assigned a task involving measuring distance to an object using optical interferometry. They have been unable to find much information on the subject and have been able to obtain a confocal signal from the photodiode. However, their bosses want them to use the interferometric signal instead. The speaker is unsure of how to process this signal and is looking for guidance or resources. They mention that the hardware architecture is already built and they believe the interferometric signal should have the same frequency as the confocal signal, but their results show otherwise.
ikatz
Hi,

I have been assigned to a new task in my job where I have to investigate on measuring the distance to an object by means of optical interferometry (Michelson interferometry). I have been looking for info on the subject but have not been really lucky.

I have been able to obtain the confocal signal (mostly Gaussian curve) in the photodiode and with that I might be able to get the distance to the object, but what my bosses really want is to use the interferometric signal to get that distance instead of the confocal. The problem is that I don't understand where does that signal come from, since it has a higher frequency and is mostly noise, so I don't know how am I going to process it to obtain any interesting data from it.

Could somebody explain how should I process this signal or at least provide a link to useful info since I am running out of ideas :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
ikatz said:
Hi,

I have been assigned to a new task in my job where I have to investigate on measuring the distance to an object by means of optical interferometry (Michelson interferometry). I have been looking for info on the subject but have not been really lucky.

I have been able to obtain the confocal signal (mostly Gaussian curve) in the photodiode and with that I might be able to get the distance to the object, but what my bosses really want is to use the interferometric signal to get that distance instead of the confocal. The problem is that I don't understand where does that signal come from, since it has a higher frequency and is mostly noise, so I don't know how am I going to process it to obtain any interesting data from it.

Could somebody explain how should I process this signal or at least provide a link to useful info since I am running out of ideas :confused:

Thanks in advance!

AFAIK, you can only use laser interferometry for relative distance measurements (like changes in distance). HP used to make some of the instrumentation for that:

http://www.vaisala.com/files/HP_Laser_Interferometers.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for answering so soon. In my scenario the HW architecture is already built, it is similar to the Michelson Interferometer but instead of having a movable mirror we will eventually have an object.

So, depending on the distance to that object I will get a signal composed by the confocal signal and the interferometric signal, but I do not understand what is the source of the latter one, since I thought that it should have the same frequency the confocal signal has.

A workmate has told me that he thinks I should process the interferometric signal in order to obtain a senoidal signal, but my results show a signal that is hardly senoidal...

Related to Distance measurement by means of optical interferometry

1. What is optical interferometry?

Optical interferometry is a measurement technique that uses the interference of light waves to make precise measurements of distance. It involves splitting a beam of light into two or more beams, which are then recombined to produce interference patterns that can be used to determine the distance between objects.

2. How does optical interferometry work?

Optical interferometry works by splitting a beam of light using a device called an interferometer. The two beams of light travel different paths and are then recombined, resulting in an interference pattern. This pattern is then analyzed to determine the distance between the objects that the light has interacted with.

3. What are the advantages of using optical interferometry for distance measurement?

One of the main advantages of optical interferometry is its high precision. It can measure distances with an accuracy of nanometers, making it useful for applications that require extremely precise measurements. It is also a non-contact measurement technique, meaning it can be used to measure objects that are difficult or impossible to access physically.

4. What are some common uses of optical interferometry?

Optical interferometry has a wide range of applications, including astronomy, microscopy, and semiconductor manufacturing. It is also used in the construction industry for tasks such as measuring the flatness of surfaces and aligning large structures.

5. Are there any limitations to using optical interferometry for distance measurement?

One limitation of optical interferometry is that it is sensitive to environmental factors such as vibrations and temperature changes, which can affect the interference patterns and result in inaccurate measurements. It also requires specialized equipment and expertise to perform, making it less accessible for general use.