Distance between maxima of two-slit interference

In summary, the distance between the first minimum and fourth minimum in a two slit experiment with a light of wavelength 500 nm is 1.68 cm. To find the distance between the central maximum and first order maximum, we can use the equations d*sin(θ) = nλ = Δ and tan(θ) = x/L. However, with the given information, it seems that we do not have enough information to solve for this distance. Additionally, the distance between minimums is larger than the distance between maximums and the first order max is not next to the central max.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

A light of wavelength 500 nm interferes through a two slit experiment on a screen. The distance between the first minimum and fourth minimum is 1.68 cm. Find the distance between the central maximum and first order maximum.

Homework Equations

d*sin(θ) = nλ = Δ

d = distance between slits
Δ = path difference

sin(θ) = tan(θ)
tan(θ) = x / L

x = distance between orders
L = distance between slits and screen

The Attempt at a Solution

We can find the path difference between the first and fourth minimum by:

(3.5)λ which is 0.000175 cm. (I converted 500 nm to 0.00005 cm).

So we can get: ##\frac{0.000175 cm}{d} = \frac{1.68 cm}{L} = tan(θ_1) = sin(θ_1)##.

We need to find: ##\frac{0.00005 cm}{d} = \frac{x}{L} = tan(θ_2) = sin(θ_2)##

But it doesn't look like we have enough information. How can I solve this? Can I use the ratio d / L to set the equation ##\frac{0.000175}{1.68} = \frac{0.00005}{x}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Things to think about: Does the wavelength of 500 nm really matter? is the distance between minimums the same as between maximums? Is the first order max next to the central max?"

barryj said:
Things to think about: Does the wavelength of 500 nm really matter? is the distance between minimums the same as between maximums? Is the first order max next to the central max?"

I found the distance between minimums is larger than the distancce between maximums. And no, the first order max is not next to the central max because they are separated by a minimum

Of course there is a minimum between the central max and the first order max. If you look at the pattern, I think you would see a central bright line, then a dark line, then another bright line, then a dark line and etc, yes. As I recall, the distances get a little larger as you move further away from the center but I doubt this is of concern here.

I can provide a response to this content by saying that the distance between maxima in a two-slit interference experiment is determined by the wavelength of the light used, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. In this case, we are given the wavelength (500 nm) and the distance between the first and fourth minima (1.68 cm). However, in order to find the distance between the central maximum and first order maximum, we also need to know the distance between the slits and the screen (L). Without this information, we cannot accurately calculate the distance between the central maximum and first order maximum. Therefore, we need more information in order to solve this problem. We could potentially use the ratio of d/L to set up an equation, but we would still need to know the value of L in order to solve it.

Related to Distance between maxima of two-slit interference

What is the distance between the maxima of two-slit interference?

The distance between the maxima of two-slit interference is determined by the wavelength of the light used, the distance between the two slits, and the angle at which the light is diffracted. This distance can be calculated using the formula: d = λL/d, where d is the distance between the maxima, λ is the wavelength, L is the distance between the slits, and d is the distance between the slits and the screen.

How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the slits determines the spacing of the maxima and minima in the interference pattern. As the distance between the slits increases, the distance between the maxima also increases, resulting in a wider interference pattern.

Does the wavelength of the light affect the distance between the maxima?

Yes, the wavelength of the light does affect the distance between the maxima. As the wavelength increases, the distance between the maxima also increases. This is because longer wavelengths diffract more than shorter wavelengths, resulting in a wider interference pattern.

Can the distance between the maxima be changed by adjusting the angle of the light?

Yes, the distance between the maxima can be changed by adjusting the angle of the light. As the angle of the light increases, the distance between the maxima decreases. This is because the angle of diffraction increases, resulting in a narrower interference pattern.

Is the distance between the maxima the same for all types of light?

No, the distance between the maxima can vary depending on the type of light used. Different types of light have different wavelengths, which can affect the distance between the maxima. Additionally, the distance between the maxima can also be affected by the material the light is passing through, such as a diffraction grating.