Distance a spring has been compressed

In summary, a 20 kg mass released from rest slides down a frictionless plane inclined at 30º and strikes a spring of spring constant K = 200 N/m. Using the given values and assuming ideal conditions, the speed of the block just before it hits the spring is ~6.91 m/s and the distance the spring has been compressed when the block comes to rest is ~3.46 m. The speed of the block is not a maximum at the instant it strikes the spring, as there is an additional change in height as the spring is compressed. Thus, the equation (1/2)kx^2 = mgh is not sufficient to solve for the distance x.
Joe_I_Am

Homework Statement

A 20 kg mass, released from rest, slides 12 meters down a frictionless plane inclined at an angle of 30º with the horizontal and strikes a spring of spring constant K = 200 Newtons/meter as shown in the diagram above. Assume that the spring is ideal, that the mass of the spring is negligible, and that mechanical energy is conserved. Use g = 10 m/s², (sin30º = ½, cos 30º = 0.866)
a. Determine the speed of the block just before it hits the spring.

b. Determine the distance the spring has been compressed when the block comes to rest.

c. Is the speed of the block a maximum at the instant the block strikes the spring? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

(1/2)kx^2, (i/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For part b, wouldn't I just have to solve

original energy 20*10*12sin(30)= (1/2)(200)x^2

for x?

I do this and I get ~3.46 meters for x, but I'm being told that this is not the right answer.

What am I doing wrong? If energy is conserved, then (1/2)kx^2 would have to equal the original mgh

Physics news on Phys.org
Joe_I_Am said:
What am I doing wrong? If energy is conserved, then (1/2)kx^2 would have to equal the original mgh
Don't neglect the additional change in height as the spring is compressed. (Measure h from the lowest point, not the point where the mass first touches the uncompressed spring.)

Your approach for part b is correct. However, there may be a mistake in your calculation. The correct answer for the distance the spring has been compressed is 3.46 meters, which you have already calculated. Make sure you are using the correct values for mass, gravity, and the angle in your calculation. It is also possible that the answer given to you is incorrect. Double check your work and if you are still unsure, ask your teacher or a classmate for help.

As for part c, the block's speed is not a maximum at the instant it strikes the spring. This is because the block has been accelerating down the inclined plane due to the force of gravity. When it reaches the spring, it is still accelerating and its speed is still increasing. Therefore, the block's speed will be a maximum at some point after it strikes the spring. This is evident from the fact that the kinetic energy of the block will continue to increase as it compresses the spring, until it reaches its maximum compression.

Related to Distance a spring has been compressed

1. How is the distance a spring has been compressed measured?

The distance a spring has been compressed is typically measured by using a ruler or tape measure to determine the distance between the two ends of the spring when it is in its compressed state. This measurement is usually taken in either inches or centimeters.

2. What factors affect the distance a spring can be compressed?

The distance a spring can be compressed is affected by a variety of factors, including the material and thickness of the spring, the amount of force applied to compress the spring, and any external factors such as temperature or humidity. Additionally, the design and shape of the spring can also impact its compressibility.

3. How does the distance a spring is compressed affect its spring constant?

The distance a spring is compressed does not affect its spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. The spring constant is determined by the material and design of the spring, and remains constant regardless of the distance the spring is compressed.

4. What is the relationship between the distance a spring is compressed and the force applied?

The relationship between the distance a spring is compressed and the force applied is directly proportional, meaning that as the distance the spring is compressed increases, so does the amount of force applied to the spring. This relationship is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is compressed or stretched.

5. Can a spring be compressed too much?

Yes, a spring can be compressed too much. If a spring is compressed beyond its elastic limit, it will no longer be able to return to its original shape and size when the force is removed. This can cause permanent damage to the spring and may render it unusable. It is important to know the elastic limit of a spring and not exceed it to ensure its proper functioning.