Displacement from angle and initial velocity

In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a ball thrown horizontally from the top of a building at 45.6 m/s to drop below an angle of 13 degrees, ignoring air resistance. The projectile equation is necessary to solve this problem. However, attempts to use this equation and set up a system of equations have not been successful. The suggested approach is to look for a right-angled triangle and label it with horizontal and vertical displacement components, and then write down equations for these displacements.
Planefreak

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown horizontally from the top of a building at 45.6 m/s. We want to know how long it takes for the ball to drop below an angle of 13 degrees. Ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

I'm assuming the projectile equation is necessary (delta)y = Vyit + .5(a)t2 other than that I'm lost

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried it a few different ways. First thought was to use the information given to write two equations. One being the flight path of the ball and the other of a line at 13 degrees. This gave me an incredibly small amount of time and was incorrect.
The two lines would be -4.9t2 and -tan(13)x They both should intersect twice. Once being at zero the other the point we are interested in. This didn't work out.

I tried rewriting equations to setup a different system of equations but ultimately couldn't get anything out of it.

Somehow I got .55 and thought that was right but according to the teacher it is not. So what do I need to do to solve the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any time an angle is mentioned, look for a right-angled triangle and components.

Try drawing a sketch of what the projectile will look like at the exact moment in time you're after, spot a triangle, and label it with horizontal and vertical displacement components, plus any other information you know.

It doesn't matter if you don't know values for the displacements yet - just use letters to represent the triangle's sides.

Once you've done that, try to write down some equations for the horizontal and vertical displacements involved and see how that works out.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and principles that apply to the situation. In this case, we can use the projectile motion equation, which describes the motion of an object in a constant gravitational field without air resistance. This equation is:

y = y0 + v0y*t + (1/2)gt^2

where y is the vertical displacement, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0y is the initial vertical velocity, t is time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

We know that the ball is thrown horizontally, so the initial vertical velocity (v0y) is zero. We also know that the initial vertical position (y0) is the height of the building. Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as:

y = h - (1/2)gt^2

where h is the height of the building. We want to find the time it takes for the ball to drop below an angle of 13 degrees, which means that the vertical displacement (y) is equal to the height of the building multiplied by the tangent of 13 degrees. Therefore, we can set up an equation:

h*tan(13) = h - (1/2)gt^2

This is a quadratic equation in terms of t, which can be solved using the quadratic formula. Once we solve for t, we can determine the time it takes for the ball to drop below 13 degrees.

It's important to note that this solution assumes no air resistance, which may not be a realistic assumption. In a real-world situation, air resistance would affect the trajectory of the ball and the time it takes to drop below an angle of 13 degrees. Therefore, the calculated time may not be entirely accurate, but it can provide a good estimate.

Related to Displacement from angle and initial velocity

What is the formula for calculating displacement from angle and initial velocity?

The formula for calculating displacement from angle and initial velocity is d = (v2sin2θ)/g, where d is displacement, v is initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the unit of measurement for displacement?

The unit of measurement for displacement is typically meters (m). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as centimeters (cm) or feet (ft).

How does the angle of launch affect displacement?

The angle of launch directly affects the displacement. When the angle of launch is increased, the displacement also increases. This is because a greater angle results in a longer horizontal distance traveled by the object.

Does initial velocity have an impact on displacement?

Yes, initial velocity also affects displacement. A higher initial velocity will result in a greater displacement, assuming the angle of launch remains constant. This is because the object will have more speed and therefore travel a greater distance in the same amount of time.

What is the significance of displacement from angle and initial velocity in physics?

Displacement from angle and initial velocity is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the trajectory of objects in motion. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering, sports, and astrophysics, where precise calculations of displacement are necessary for various applications.