Discrete Math Question Involving Congruence Modulus

In summary: In fact, any integer can be used as "k" with "x= 4+ 5k" and it will satisfy "4x= 6 (mod 5)" because 4(4+ 5k)= 16+ 20k= 6 (mod 5). Note that 4x= 6 (mod 5) means "4x= 6+ 5n for some integer n" so 4x- 6= 5n and x satisfies 4x- 6= 5n if and only if x= 4+ 5k for some integer k."In summary, when solving for x in 4x=6(mod
Bashyboy
Solve for x: 4x=6(mod 5)

Here is my solution:

From the definition of modulus, we can write the above as [itex]\frac{4x−6}{5}=k[/itex], where [itex]k[/itex] is the remainder resulting from [itex]4x~mod~5=6~mod~5=k.[/itex]

Solving for [itex]x[/itex], [itex]x=\frac{5k+6}{4}⟹x(k)=\frac{5k+6}{4}[/itex]

Now, my teacher said that is incorrect, and that [itex]k=...−2,−1,0,1,2,...[/itex]

I honestly don't understand what is wrong about my answer; and shouldn't k only take on nonnegative values, following from the definition of modulus?

Physics news on Phys.org
and shouldn't k only take on nonnegative values, following from the definition of modulus?
k can be any integer number. 4=6 mod 2, and 6=4 mod 2.
"mod 2" refers to the "=", not to one side of the equation. This is different in computer science.

Your x(k) will give answers only if the fraction there (evaluated in the real numbers) gives integers.

So, I presume there is a different way of solving this, of which I am unaware of? Could you possibly give me a hint?

I think I might have discovered why I am unable to do this problem: my teacher furnished this as a test question, despite the fact that my teacher did not even assign the chapter which deals with solving congruences, nor did my teacher assign probems. Frustrating but not out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
Solve for x: 4x=6(mod 5)

Here is my solution:

From the definition of modulus, we can write the above as [itex]\frac{4x−6}{5}=k[/itex], where [itex]k[/itex] is the remainder resulting from [itex]4x~mod~5=6~mod~5=k.[/itex]
It would be better to write 4x- 6= 5k or 4x= 6+ 5k since all numbers here must be integers. And writing it as a fraction obscures that.

Now: if k= 0, this is 4x= 6 which does not have an integer solution.
If k= 1, this is 4x= 11 which does not have an integer solution.
If k= 2, this is 4x= 16 which has x= 4 as a solution.

And since this is "modulo 5", any x= 4+ 5k, for k any integer, is a solution.

Solving for [itex]x[/itex], [itex]x=\frac{5k+6}{4}⟹x(k)=\frac{5k+6}{4}[/itex]

Now, my teacher said that is incorrect, and that [itex]k=...−2,−1,0,1,2,...[/itex]

I honestly don't understand what is wrong about my answer; and shouldn't k only take on nonnegative values, following from the definition of modulus?
No, there is no requirement that "k" be non-negative. I don't know which of several equivalent defnitions of "modulus" you are using. One is "a= b (mod n) if and only if a- b is divisibe by n". Another is "a= b (mod n) if and only if a= b+ kn for some integer n".

4- 5= -1 is also a value of "x= 4 (mod 5)" and satisfies 4(-1)= -4= 6 (mod 5) because 6- (-4)= 10 is a multiple of 5.

Related to Discrete Math Question Involving Congruence Modulus

1. What is congruence modulus in discrete math?

Congruence modulus is a mathematical concept that is used to describe the relationship between two numbers. It is denoted by the symbol "≡" (three bars) and indicates that two numbers have the same remainder when divided by a given positive integer.

2. How is congruence modulus used in discrete math?

Congruence modulus is used in various areas of discrete math, such as number theory, cryptography, and computer science. It is particularly useful in solving problems related to modular arithmetic, which involves the study of integers and their relationships when divided by a fixed number.

3. Can you give an example of a discrete math question involving congruence modulus?

Sure, here's one: Find the smallest positive integer that, when divided by 3, leaves a remainder of 2, and when divided by 5, leaves a remainder of 1. The answer to this question is 11, which is congruent to 2 (mod 3) and 1 (mod 5).

4. How is congruence modulus different from regular equality in math?

Congruence modulus is a more specific form of equality that takes into account the remainder when dividing two numbers. In regular equality, the two numbers must have the exact same value, while in congruence modulus, they can differ by a multiple of the given modulus.

5. Are there any real-life applications of congruence modulus?

Yes, congruence modulus has several practical applications in fields such as computer security and coding theory. It is also used in the creation of calendars, as well as in the design of musical instruments and tuning systems.