Discrete Math Help: Proving Injectivity of f & g

In summary, if f of g is injective, then f is injective and g is not necessarily injective. To prove this, we can use proof by contradiction by assuming that either f or g is not injective and showing that it leads to a contradiction.
swears

Homework Statement

f: B => C and g: A => B

1. If f of g is injective, then f is injective.

2. If f of g is injective, then g is injective.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that 1 is true and 2 is false because I found those as properties, but I am not exactly sure why, and I do not know how to show a proof.

Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
If f of g is injective then every x,y in A such that f(g(x)) = f(g(y)) implies that x=y.

I suggest from here to suppose that f or g is not injective and come up with a contradiction. Ie: suppose f is injective and g is not injective, suppose f is not injective and g is injective, suppose f and g are not injective. Work it out from here.

Related to Discrete Math Help: Proving Injectivity of f & g

1. What is the definition of injectivity in discrete math?

Injectivity in discrete math refers to a function that maps distinct elements from the domain to distinct elements in the codomain. This means that each input in the domain has a unique output in the codomain, and no two inputs have the same output.

2. How do you prove that a function is injective?

To prove that a function is injective, you must show that for every distinct pair of inputs in the domain, the corresponding outputs in the codomain are also distinct. This can be done using a direct proof or a proof by contradiction.

3. What is the importance of proving injectivity in discrete math?

Proving injectivity is important because it ensures that a function has a well-defined inverse. This is useful for solving equations, calculating probabilities, and understanding the behavior of a function.

4. Can you give an example of a function that is injective?

Yes, the function f(x) = x + 2 is injective because for every distinct input, the output is also distinct. For example, f(3) = 5 and f(4) = 6, showing that the function maps distinct inputs (3 and 4) to distinct outputs (5 and 6).

5. What if I cannot prove that a function is injective?

If you are unable to prove that a function is injective, it may not be injective. In this case, you can try to find a counterexample (a pair of inputs that have the same output) to disprove injectivity. If a counterexample is found, the function is not injective. Otherwise, you may need to use other methods, such as checking for surjectivity or bijectivity.