Discrete Fourier Transform question

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of learning Fourier transformation and specifically focuses on an example of a discrete Fourier transform in chapter 11 of the book "Fourier Transformation" by R. Bracewell. The person is having trouble understanding how to get the transforms by hand and has searched for help online, but to no avail. They are advised to review the definition of the DFT and its normalization, as well as to review how to compute Fourier series, which is similar to computing a discrete Fourier transform.
kakolukia786
Hi, I am learning Fourier transformation by my own. I am reading a book "Fourier Transformation" by R. Bracewell. In chapter 11, in examples of discrete Fourier transforms, it gives for N =2, {1 0} transforms to 1/2{1 1}. I can do this in MATLAB but I can't figure it out how to do it by hand. Searching over the internet, I came across some material but it did not help. Can someone explain me how to get those transforms. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bracewell's is an excellent book. The result you quote should be obvious except, perhaps, for the normalization in front which would usually be used for the inverse DFT (the forward DFT would have the factor 1). I don't have this book here but look at his definition of the DFT and check the normalization.

Computing a discrete Fourier transform is basically the same as computing the coefficients of a Fourier series (except for the normalization factor). If you are confused by this simple question, then reviewing how to compute Fourier series might help.

Hello,

The discrete Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to analyze signals and data in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields.

To understand how to calculate the discrete Fourier transform by hand, it is important to first understand the concept of complex numbers and their representation in the complex plane. The discrete Fourier transform involves complex numbers and their manipulation, so a basic understanding of complex numbers is necessary.

To calculate the discrete Fourier transform of a signal, you will need to follow a specific formula, which is essentially a summation of the signal multiplied by a complex exponential function. This formula can be found in your textbook or online.

To calculate the transform for N=2, you will need to use the formula for N=2, which is:

X(k) = (1/N) ∑x(n)e^(-j2πnk/N)

Where X(k) is the discrete Fourier transform of the signal x(n) and n ranges from 0 to N-1.

In the example given in your book, N=2 and the signal is {1,0}, so the formula becomes:

X(k) = (1/2) ∑x(n)e^(-j2πnk/2)

Substituting in the values for n=0 and n=1, we get:

X(0) = (1/2)(1*e^(-j2π*0*0/2) + 0*e^(-j2π*0*1/2))

X(1) = (1/2)(1*e^(-j2π*1*0/2) + 0*e^(-j2π*1*1/2))

Simplifying, we get:

X(0) = (1/2)(1 + 0) = 1/2

X(1) = (1/2)(1 + 0) = 1/2

Therefore, the discrete Fourier transform for N=2 and the signal {1,0} is {1/2, 1/2}.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how to calculate the discrete Fourier transform by hand. It can be a bit complicated at first, but with practice and a solid understanding of complex numbers, you will be able to perform these calculations easily. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Discrete Fourier Transform question

1. What is the Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT)?

The DFT is a mathematical transformation that converts a finite sequence of equally-spaced samples of a function into a sequence of complex numbers representing the frequency components of that function.

2. How is the DFT different from the Fourier Transform?

The DFT is a discrete version of the Fourier Transform, meaning it operates on a finite set of data points rather than a continuous function. It is also more computationally efficient, making it more practical for digital signal processing applications.

3. What is the purpose of using the DFT?

The DFT is commonly used in signal processing and data analysis to identify the frequency components present in a signal. This can help in tasks such as noise filtering, compression, and feature extraction.

4. What is the relationship between the DFT and the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT)?

The FFT is an algorithm that efficiently computes the DFT. It takes advantage of the symmetry and periodicity properties of the DFT to reduce the number of computations needed. In practice, the terms DFT and FFT are often used interchangeably.

5. How do you interpret the output of the DFT?

The output of the DFT is a sequence of complex numbers, where each value represents the magnitude and phase of a specific frequency component in the input signal. The magnitude can be interpreted as the strength of that frequency component, while the phase represents its position in the signal.