Discrete Fast Fourier transform with FFTW in FORTRAN77

In summary, the conversation discusses using FFTW to calculate a derivative and addresses issues with unnormalized coefficients and the ordering of coefficients. The code provided is also shown and a mistake in using the wrong values of k is fixed. It is recommended to double check the code by taking the Fourier transform of known sine waves before moving on to other inputs.
Telemachus
Hi, this thread is an extension of this one: https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5829265/

As I've realized that the problem is that I don't know how to properly use FFTW, from http://www.fftw.org.

I am trying to calculate a derivative using FFTW. I have ##u(x)=e^{\sin(x)}##, so ##\frac{du(x)}{dx}=\cos(x) e^{\sin(x)}##.

By using the Fourier series I have that: ##u(x)=\displaystyle \sum_{k=- \infty}^{ \infty}\hat u_k e^{ikx}##,

So I must also have: ##\frac{du(x)}{dx}=\displaystyle \sum_{k=- \infty}^{ \infty}ik \hat u_k e^{ikx}##.

I am using that:
##\frac{du(x)}{dx}=\sum_{k=- \infty}^{ \infty} \hat \beta_k e^{ikx}##, with ##\hat \beta_k=ik \hat u_k##.

What I do is, I go to Fourier space, calculate the coefficients of ##u(x)##, multiply by ##ik##, and then I transform back to get the derivative. There are a few things with the FFTW, the first is that the coefficients are unnormalized, so I have to multiply by ##1/N##. I'm not sure if I have to multiply only once, for when I convert from ##u\rightarrow \hat u_k##, or if twice, due to the fact that I am using the coefficients for the derivative ##u\rightarrow \hat u_k\rightarrow \hat \beta_k##.

The other thing has to do with the ordering of the coefficients. In this url: http://www.fftw.org/fftw3_doc/The-1d-Discrete-Fourier-Transform-_0028DFT_0029.html

it says that the coefficients are ordered like:

Note also that we use the standard “in-order” output ordering—the k-th output corresponds to the frequency k/n (or k/T, where T is your total sampling period). For those who like to think in terms of positive and negative frequencies, this means that the positive frequencies are stored in the first half of the output and the negative frequencies are stored in backwards order in the second half of the output. (The frequency -k/n is the same as the frequency (n-k)/n.)

I am using the discrete versions of the Fourier Transform:

##u_k=\frac{1}{N}\displaystyle \sum_{j=0}^{N-1} u(x_j) e^{-ikx_j}##
##u(x_j)=\displaystyle \sum_{k=-N/2+1}^{N/2} \hat u_k e^{ikx_j}##

However, remember that I'm only going back and forth to Fourier space, so I'm not using this formulas, but I have to have into account the normalization factor, and the correct ordering of the coefficients.

Here is the code:

Fortran:
    program fourser
c...FFTW transformation
       double complex zin, zout,duk
       parameter (nmax=2**10)
       dimension zin(nmax), zout(nmax),duk(nmax)
       integer*8 plan1,plan2
   double complex zero,zone,eye,kv
   real*8 rzero,one
   real*8 rmin,rmax,dx
   integer N,kn
   real*8 x,ct,kr,user,du
   data rzero,one,two/0.0d0,1.0d0,2.0d0/
   include "/usr/local/include/fftw3.f"
   zero = dcmplx(rzero,rzero)
   eye = dcmplx(rzero,one)
   zone = dcmplx(one,rzero)
       Pi = two*dasin(one)
   rmin = rzero
   rmax = two*Pi
   N = 64
   dx = (rmax-rmin)/N
c... output files
   open(unit=17,file='duan.dat',status='unknown')
   open(unit=18,file='duser.dat',status='unknown')
c   open(unit=25,file='Invfk.dat',status='unknown')
   do i=1,N
     x = i*dx
     zin(i) = dexp(dsin(x))
c         zin(i) = 10.d0*dsin(dabs(x-Pi))**3 - 6.d0*dsin(dabs(x-Pi))
     rz = dreal(zin(i))
     ri = dimag(zin(i))
     ra = cdabs(zin(i))
         du = dcos(x)*dexp(dsin(x))
     write(17,*) x,' ',du
   enddo
c... Direct Fast Fourier Transform
   call dfftw_plan_dft_1d(plan1,N,zin,zout,
     +                        FFTW_FORWARD,FFTW_ESTIMATE)
   call dfftw_execute(plan1)
c... Solution coefficients
   do i=1,N
     duk(i) = eye*(i)*zout(i)/N
   enddo

c... Inverse Fast Fourier Transform
   call dfftw_plan_dft_1d(plan2,N,duk,zout,
     +                        FFTW_BACKWARD,FFTW_ESTIMATE)
   call dfftw_execute(plan2)

call dfftw_destroy_plan(plan1)
c... Solve derivative
      do j=1,N
       x = j*dx
           user = dreal(zout(j))/N
     cuser = dimag(zout(j))
    write(18,*) x,' ',user
      enddo
   close(17)
   close(18)

call dfftw_destroy_plan(plan2)
   stop
   end

Here is what I obtain:

?temp_hash=5c8e1cdb236fb5f5858bf72f117a90ce.png

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• duser.png
    duser.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 620
Technology news on Phys.org
I fixed it, I was using the wrong values of k.

Telemachus said:
I fixed it, I was using the wrong values of k.

I've made that mistake the first version of Fourier transform code.

I've gotten in the habit of double checking my Fourier transform code by taking the Fourier transform of some known sine waves to confirm all those details before moving on to inputs where I don't already know what the output should be.

Likes Telemachus

Related to Discrete Fast Fourier transform with FFTW in FORTRAN77

1. What is the Discrete Fast Fourier Transform (DFT)?

The Discrete Fast Fourier Transform (DFT) is an efficient algorithm used to convert a discrete sequence of time-domain data into its equivalent representation in the frequency domain. This is useful for analyzing signals and extracting information about their frequency components.

2. What is FFTW?

FFTW (Fastest Fourier Transform in the West) is a popular software library for computing the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) in one or more dimensions. It is written in C and is known for its high speed and accuracy.

3. How is FFTW implemented in FORTRAN77?

FFTW can be used in FORTRAN77 by linking the FFTW library with the FORTRAN code. The library provides functions and subroutines that can be called from within the FORTRAN code to perform the DFT calculations.

4. What are the advantages of using FFTW in FORTRAN77?

Using FFTW in FORTRAN77 allows for efficient and accurate computation of the DFT, without the need for manual coding of the algorithm. This saves time and effort for the programmer and also ensures a high level of performance.

5. Are there any limitations to using FFTW in FORTRAN77?

One limitation of using FFTW in FORTRAN77 is that it is not a built-in function or subroutine, so it must be linked with the code separately. Additionally, the use of FFTW in FORTRAN77 may require some understanding of both languages, as well as some knowledge of the DFT algorithm and its implementation.