Discovery shuttle poised for historic final launch

In summary, Discovery is poised for its final launch. The shuttle is expected to be stopped by foam loss, but no damage has been reported.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (AFP) – Discovery, NASA’s oldest as great as most journeyed space shuttle, is staid to launch Thursday upon the final mission, jacket up the nearby three-decade bequest of orbital travel.

http://daysnews.net/9676-discovery-shuttle-poised-for-historic-final-launch.html"

What a great accomplishment. Good Luck Discovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope the sheet slows down by launch time. It's blocking my NASA channel reception. :(

AND Bill Nye {the science guy} is on CNN for the shuttle event!

You couldn't have linked a better article? Whoever wrote that obviously has some trouble with English, I couldn't even understand the first paragraph.

It reads like a machine-translation from some other language.

pergradus said:
You couldn't have linked a better article? Whoever wrote that obviously has some trouble with English, I couldn't even understand the first paragraph.
First thing that came up on a google search. I thought it was bad too, but mainly wanted the event noted. :wink:

btw: NASA channel looking good now

jtbell said:
It reads like a machine-translation from some other language.
:smile: I know you're serious though.

dlgoff said:
First thing that came up on a google search. I thought it was bad too, but mainly wanted the event noted. :wink:

btw: NASA channel looking good now

No problem, btw sorry if I seemed to snap but that author really annoyed me.

pergradus said:
...btw sorry if I seemed to snap but that author really annoyed me.
Snapping allowed. :biggrin:

dlgoff said:
Snapping allowed. :biggrin:

Just not on the shuttle!

Would be a damn shame if some mechanical failure brings it down.

Congratulations Norman and all NASA people. Hypatia a space program kid like myself and all aerospace scientists and engineers for a beautiful launch! :smile:

Lacy33 said:
Congratulations Norman and all NASA people. Hypatia a space program kid like myself and all aerospace scientists and engineers for a beautiful launch! :smile:

Thanks Lacy. I watched the launch live. All things seemed to go well, but we thought we saw a piece of foam come loose. They will likely have to investigate that. It is fairly typical with the last few launches to lose a little foam. The question is how much damage was there.

I sort of misted up a bit, it was beautiful.

OMG. Would you believe that right after my last posting here we had a power outage?

I called my rural power coop to report the outage and was informed that lighting had struck a pole and set it on fire and that they anticipated it would take about an hour to replace it. Funny thing is the only thunder I herd was at like 7:00 CST this morning.

Anyway, the power just came back on just now and I glade things look good for Discovery.

hypatia said:
I sort of misted up a bit, it was beautiful.

I'm sure I would have too.

was it just me, or did it seem to make a little wiggle on takeoff ?

Came across this neat video today:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Discovery shuttle poised for historic final launch

What is the Discovery shuttle?

The Discovery shuttle is one of NASA's fleet of space shuttles, designed for manned spaceflight missions. It has been in operation since 1984 and has completed 39 successful missions.

Why is the final launch of the Discovery shuttle considered historic?

The final launch of the Discovery shuttle is considered historic because it marks the end of an era in NASA's spaceflight program. The shuttle has been in service for 27 years and has played a crucial role in many important missions, including launching the Hubble Space Telescope and constructing the International Space Station.

When is the final launch of the Discovery shuttle scheduled to take place?

The final launch of the Discovery shuttle is scheduled for February 24, 2011, at 4:50 PM EST.

What will happen to the Discovery shuttle after its final launch?

After its final launch, the Discovery shuttle will be retired and put on display at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.

What is the significance of the Discovery shuttle for the future of space exploration?

The Discovery shuttle has played a crucial role in advancing space exploration and has paved the way for future missions. Its retirement marks the end of an era but also opens up opportunities for new technologies and spacecraft to continue pushing the boundaries of space exploration.