Discovering Graph Theory: Is it Worth Taking for Rigor and Interest?

In summary, Graph Theory is a course offered at universities that covers the study of graphs and their applications in algorithmic structure, with topics such as connectivity, paths, trees, and more. It is highly applicable to computer science and has a number theoretic aspect. If you are interested in this field, it is recommended to have a background in counting methods, permutations, combinations, and possibly topology and group theory. It may also touch on topics from combinatorics, game theory, statistics, and linear algebra. However, it is important to thoroughly research the course description to ensure it covers the specific topics you are interested in.
╔(σ_σ)╝
I am planing to take a course in Graph theory at my university, but i have no idea what it is.

I want to take something that is ,to some extent, rigorous and interesting.

This is the course summary provided by my school :

Introduction to graph theory and its applications with an emphasis on algorithmic structure. Topics may include graphs, digraphs and subgraphs, representation of graphs, breadth first and depth first search, connectivity, paths, trees, circuits and cycles, planar graphs flows and networks, matchings, colourings, hypergraphs, intractability and random algorithms.

From what i read this is almost like a computer science course!

I wanted to get an opinion from someone who knows a bit about graph theory. Does this sound like something that is worth taking if i`m looking for something rigorous and mathematical?

What exactly is graph theory ? Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
From what i read this is almost like a computer science course!

It is very applicable to computer science. Graphs are particularly well suited for computer science because they are finite structured objects that easily model all kinds of real world problems.

Graph theory has a very number theoretic feel to it.

So, does this course sound like something worth taking, based on the course summary above ?

"Graph theory has a very number theoretic feel to it."

I'm not sure what that means, but if you go far enough into graph theory you will need some group theory and topology - at least for graduate level courses.

I`m not sure what that means either since, i have not touched number theory.What do you think are some courses I should have handy, in order to tackle graph theory ?

If this is a first course (I'm guessing it is, or you wouldn't have these questions) it will be self-contained. You'll see some counting methods used in proofs, and quick sketches will be used more often than, well, you can count - at least, that's my experience.

What do you mean by counting methods used in proofs ? and quick sketches ? Sorry, i`m oblivious as to what you mean.

As far as counting methods, probably permutations and combinations. A graph is a set of vertices, some connected by what are called edges. Counting is used in counting vertices or edges in certain proofs. Since this sounds like a beginner course in graph theory, you will probably just be studying different graphs and their properties. For example, something very easy that you will probably learn is: A bipartite graph is two-colorable. Of course you probably don't know what that means, but the vocabulary is something you will also learn. Perhaps a link with more information will help...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_theory

Might touch some topics from combinatorics, game theory, statistics, and linear algebra. But yeah if it doesn't cover some topology and group theory the subject is boring and dry unless you are a computer science major.

Thanks a lot guys. The course descriptions given on my school website could be quiet vague and ambiguous.

Hopefully it covers some topology! I need all the help I can get on topological abstractions before I take real analysis.

pbandjay I already checked it out, but it seemed like technician jargon to me.

Perhaps

http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/index/05CXX.html

Graph Theory works a lot with set theory, relation theory, combinatorics, some matrix algebra and algorithm complexity analysis. In an introductory course, all of the fundamentals (other than basic algebra) are typically introduced. Some courses in Graph Theory have Discrete Mathematics as a prerequisite.

--Elucidus

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Discovering Graph Theory: Is it Worth Taking for Rigor and Interest?

1. What is graph theory?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and interactions of graphs, which are mathematical structures that represent relationships between objects.

2. How is graph theory useful in real life?

Graph theory has many practical applications, including in computer science, transportation networks, social networks, and biology. It can be used to model and solve problems involving relationships and connections between entities.

3. Is graph theory a difficult subject to learn?

Like any branch of mathematics, graph theory can be challenging to learn. It requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and strong problem-solving skills. However, with dedication and practice, it can be a rewarding and fascinating subject to study.

4. What skills are necessary to study graph theory?

To study graph theory, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, calculus, and discrete mathematics. It also requires logical thinking, abstract reasoning, and the ability to visualize and manipulate complex structures.

5. Is it worth taking a course in graph theory for rigor and interest?

Absolutely! Graph theory is a fundamental and important area of mathematics, with numerous applications in various fields. It not only develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills, but it also offers insights into the structure and interconnectedness of the world around us.