Discover the Future of Wearable Technology: Bluetooth Clothing Chip Design Tips

In summary, the speaker is a consumer product designer who has received a commission to build a piece of clothing that transmits sensor data to a smartphone. They are seeking advice on where to begin their research and mention potentially using NASA instruments as a starting point. They are specifically interested in tracking distance, height, and speed.
scottb50
I design consumer products and have just received a commission to build a piece of clothing that transmits sensor data to a smartphone.

I'm looking for the best places to begin my research. Is there someone here that could help me?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
scottb50 said:
I design consumer products and have just received a commission to build a piece of clothing that transmits sensor data to a smartphone.

I'm looking for the best places to begin my research. Is there someone here that could help me?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

What all are you planning on sensing in the garment? You could start by looking at what NASA instruments astronauts with when they are in their space suits...

It will track distance and height. From that we are looking to extrapolate speed.

Related to Discover the Future of Wearable Technology: Bluetooth Clothing Chip Design Tips

1. What is a Bluetooth clothing chip?

A Bluetooth clothing chip is a small electronic device that can be embedded into clothing or accessories and uses Bluetooth technology to wirelessly connect to other devices such as smartphones, tablets, or laptops.

2. How does a Bluetooth clothing chip work?

A Bluetooth clothing chip works by emitting a low-power radio signal that can be picked up by other Bluetooth-enabled devices within range. It can then transmit and receive data, allowing for communication and interaction between the clothing chip and other devices.

3. What are the benefits of using Bluetooth clothing chips?

Bluetooth clothing chips offer several benefits, such as hands-free communication, convenience, and versatility. They can also track and monitor various health and fitness data, provide notifications and alerts, and even control smart home devices.

4. Are there any privacy concerns with Bluetooth clothing chips?

Like any other electronic device, Bluetooth clothing chips can raise privacy concerns. However, most manufacturers implement security features, such as encryption, to protect user data. It is also essential to carefully consider the permissions given to the clothing chip and connected devices.

5. Can I wash clothing with a Bluetooth clothing chip?

It depends on the specific clothing chip and its waterproof capabilities. Some manufacturers design their chips to withstand washing, while others may recommend removing the chip before washing. It is essential to check the manufacturer's instructions before washing the clothing with the chip embedded.