Discover the Definition of a Square - Explained Simply

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a trapezoid with equal diagonals that do not intersect at their midpoints. The participants use examples of a square and line segments to illustrate this concept.
bobsmith76
i think the answer is a, my book says it's e. this has got to be a typo

Screenshot2011-09-17at72810PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it say the diagonals intersect at their midpoints?

I can't imagine how it's possible that the diagonals are equal and form a right triangle and they NOT intersect at the midpoint.

Trapezoid?

Try to draw 2 line segments of equal length and perpendicular.
And make them not intersect in the middle.
What's the resulting quadrilateral?

Same idea as I like Serena:

Start with a square and draw it diagonals. Now erase the square, leaving only the diagonals. Now erase about half of each diagonal above the point where they intersect. Of what figure are they the diagonals?

Thanks, I got it.

Related to Discover the Definition of a Square - Explained Simply

What is the definition of a square?

A square is a two-dimensional geometric shape with four equal sides and four right angles.

How do you find the area of a square?

The area of a square is calculated by multiplying the length of one side by itself. In other words, the area equals the side length squared.

What is the perimeter of a square?

The perimeter of a square is the distance around the outside of the shape. It can be found by adding together all four sides of the square.

What is the difference between a square and a rectangle?

While both shapes have four sides and four right angles, a square has all equal sides while a rectangle has two pairs of equal sides. Additionally, a square's sides meet at 90 degree angles, while a rectangle's sides can meet at any angle.

How is a square used in real life?

Squares are used in many aspects of daily life, including in design and construction, in measuring and dividing spaces, and in creating maps and diagrams. Squares are also commonly used in mathematics and geometry problems.