Discover How to Solve Non Calc Paper Question with Prime Numbers | Thx

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary: D:D:D:D:DIn summary, the number 40 can be written as 2^m x n, where m and n are prime numbers. The way to find out the answer is to use prime numbers and trial and error.
thomas49th
Hi, I have a question

tThe number 40 can be written as [tex]2^m[/tex] x n, where m and n are prime numbers

I managed to guess that m = 3 and n = 5 by trials and error by using low prime numbers. Is this the proper/best way to work out the answer. If not can someone show me a proper way

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Your way works, because it got you the right answer, but consider what if the number was larger. The way I would do it, which is just one way of many, would be to write out the factors of 40 = {1x40, 2x20, ... , 40x1}. Since you know that 2^m can at most be 40, and also must be prime (meaning the first factor can only be 2^2, 2^3, 2^5 (which is not in the set of factors so it can be discarded)), that will narrow down the options of m, and from there you can find which of the 2 options of n will give the right factors. 4x10 (no!), or 8x5 (yes!)

My way would only work for numbers relatively small though because you don't to do a bunch of factors for numbers in tens of thousands. There could be something better out there with logarithms or systems of equations.

Last edited:
Yes there are better ways using Modular Arithmetic i think, but this is a GSCE or something paper, and considering as don't learn logs, I think they'll be fine with the guess and check for now, which is probably why they've been given a small number.

Scratch last comment, I found an easier, yet systematic method that doesn't require guess and check.

[tex]40 = 2^m \cdot n[/tex].

Repeated divide by 2.
[tex]20=2^{m-1}\cdot n[/tex]
[tex]10=2^{m-2} \cdot n[/tex]
[tex]5=2^{m-3}\cdot n[/tex]

Since 5 can not be divided by 2 any further, this is the lowest you can reduce it. Since 2 is obviously not a factor, m-3 must be zero, or m=3. And its also obvious to see n then must be 5. HAPPY SUNSHINE :D:D:D

Related to Discover How to Solve Non Calc Paper Question with Prime Numbers | Thx

1. What is a non calc paper question?

A non calc paper question refers to a question on a test or exam that does not require the use of a calculator to solve. These types of questions are typically found in math or science exams where the focus is on understanding concepts and problem-solving skills rather than calculations.

2. How do I prepare for non calc paper questions?

The best way to prepare for non calc paper questions is to practice solving problems without a calculator. This will help you become more comfortable with mental math and improve your problem-solving skills. Also, make sure to review the fundamental concepts and formulas that may be needed to solve the questions.

3. What subjects typically include non calc paper questions?

Non calc paper questions can be found in a variety of subjects, but they are most commonly seen in math and science exams. These subjects require a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and problem-solving skills, making them suitable for non calc questions.

4. Can I use a calculator on non calc paper questions?

No, the purpose of non calc paper questions is to test your understanding of concepts and problem-solving skills without the aid of a calculator. Using a calculator on these types of questions defeats the purpose and may result in a lower score.

5. How can I improve my performance on non calc paper questions?

To improve your performance on non calc paper questions, it is essential to practice solving problems without a calculator. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly understand the fundamental concepts and formulas that may be needed to solve the questions. Time management and staying calm during the exam can also help improve your performance.