Discontinuities of coefficient in linear homogeneous system

In summary, we are given three solutions x^{(1)}, x^{(2)}, x^{(3)} that form a Wronskian W, and are asked to find the discontinuities of the coefficient p_{i,j}(t) in a linear homogeneous system and to find the sum of p_{1,1}(t) + p_{2,2}(t) + p_{3,3}(t) using the Wronskian. The Wronskian is found to be t^4 - 2t^3 + t^2 and has discontinuities at t= 0 and t= 1, suggesting that the discontinuities in matrix P prevent a solution from being extended past
jessawells

Homework Statement

let [tex]x^{(1)} = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}1\\1\\1\end{array} \right) [/tex], [tex]x^{(2)} = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}1\\t\\t^2\end{array} \right) [/tex], [tex]x^{(3)} = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}1\\t\\t^3\end{array} \right) [/tex]

a) Find the Wronskian [tex]W(x^{(1)}, x^{(2)}, x^{(3)}) [/tex]

b) You are told that [tex] x^{(1)}, x^{(2)}, x^{(3)} [/tex] are solutions of a

linear homogeneous system [tex] x' = P(t)x [/tex]

i) what can you say about the discontinuities of the coefficient [tex]p_{i,j}(t) [/tex]?

ii) Find [tex]p_{1,1}(t) + p_{2,2}(t) + p_{3,3}(t) [/tex]. (Hint: use your solution to part a).

Homework Equations

W = determinant of [tex](x^{(1)}, x^{(2)}, x^{(3)})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a), the Wronskian is W = determinant of [tex](x^{(1)}, x^{(2)}, x^{(3)})[/tex], which I found to be [tex] t^4 -2t^3 + t^2 [/tex]. I'm not sure how to do part b). What discontinuities is the question referring to, and how do I find them? How do I use my answer to part a) to solve b)ii)? Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]t^4- 2t^3+ t^2= t^2(t-1)^2= 0[/itex] when t= 0 or t= 1. Since such an equation has a unique solutions as long as the Wronskian is non-zero, what do you think prevents a solution from being extended past t= 0 or t= 1? It must be discontinuities in matrix P.

Related to Discontinuities of coefficient in linear homogeneous system

1. What are discontinuities of coefficient in linear homogeneous systems?

Discontinuities of coefficient in linear homogeneous systems refer to changes or breaks in the values of the coefficients in a system of linear equations. These changes can affect the solutions of the system and make it impossible to find a unique solution.

2. How do discontinuities of coefficient affect the solutions of a linear homogeneous system?

Discontinuities of coefficient can affect the solutions of a linear homogeneous system by making it impossible to find a unique solution. This is because the changes in the coefficients can lead to inconsistencies or an infinite number of solutions, making it difficult to determine the true solution.

3. What are some common causes of discontinuities of coefficient in linear homogeneous systems?

Discontinuities of coefficient in linear homogeneous systems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as errors in data collection or calculation, changes in the underlying system, or limitations of the mathematical model used to describe the system.

4. How can we identify discontinuities of coefficient in a linear homogeneous system?

To identify discontinuities of coefficient in a linear homogeneous system, we can analyze the coefficients of the equations and look for any sudden changes or breaks in their values. We can also use mathematical techniques such as matrix operations to detect inconsistencies in the system.

5. Can discontinuities of coefficient be avoided in linear homogeneous systems?

In most cases, it is not possible to completely avoid discontinuities of coefficient in linear homogeneous systems. However, we can minimize their impact by carefully collecting and analyzing data, using appropriate mathematical models, and regularly checking for errors and inconsistencies in the system.