Discharging DC Circuit Modeling Question

In summary, the speaker had a question regarding the modeling of a circuit and was trying to derive the equation for the voltage across a capacitor. They were getting the correct result when the element polarities were the same, but not when they were opposite. After sharing their work and equations, they realized their mistake was in the inconsistent current directions. They apologized for the error.
n00bcake22

Homework Statement

Hello all, I just have a quick question regarding the modeling of the following circuit (see attached).
I am trying to derive the equation for the voltage across the capacitor as a function of time. I come up with the correct result when the element polarities are the same (i.e. figure on the left) but do not when the polarities are opposite (right figure). I have attached a pdf file showing my work if you care to look it over. My resulting equations are:

Left figure:
v_c(t)=v_0*exp(-t/RC); CORRECT

Right figure:
v_c(t)=v_0*exp(t/RC); SHOULD BE NEG. IN EXP

I am a mech. eng. and thought that the polarity setup was irrelevant for modeling. Am I missing something? Thanks for the help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• son.pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 225
  • RCCir.jpg
    RCCir.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Guys,

I found my error. I had inconsistent current directions--silly mistake. My apologies.

Related to Discharging DC Circuit Modeling Question

1. What is a "Discharging DC Circuit Modeling Question"?

A "Discharging DC Circuit Modeling Question" is a type of scientific inquiry that involves analyzing and predicting the behavior of a circuit as it discharges electricity. This type of question often arises when studying the behavior of electrical devices or systems.

2. How do you model a discharging DC circuit?

To model a discharging DC circuit, you would need to use equations and principles from electrical circuit theory, such as Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. You would also need to consider the components of the circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, and their respective values. Using this information, you can create a mathematical model to predict the behavior of the circuit as it discharges.

3. What factors affect the discharging of a DC circuit?

The discharging of a DC circuit can be affected by several factors, including the resistance of the circuit components, the capacitance and inductance of the circuit, and the initial voltage of the circuit. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the discharging process.

4. How do you calculate the time constant for a discharging DC circuit?

The time constant for a discharging DC circuit can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the time constant, R is the resistance in the circuit, and C is the capacitance. This formula can also be used to calculate the time it takes for the circuit to discharge to a certain percentage of its initial voltage.

5. What is the significance of modeling a discharging DC circuit?

Modeling a discharging DC circuit allows scientists and engineers to predict and understand the behavior of electrical systems, which is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electronic devices. It also helps in optimizing the performance and efficiency of these systems, as well as ensuring their safety and reliability.