Disabling the "Popular threads" and similar sidebars

• Thread starter LCKurtz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the option to stop sidebars from popping up as a default and whether there could be a setting to change this. The individual finds sidebars to be a nuisance while perusing a forum and prefers a minimalist approach. The discussion also touched on the purpose of adding sidebars and the possibility of enhancing the member's experience through them. It was mentioned that content discovery can be a challenge in forum formats and sidebars could potentially help with that.
LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Is there a setting to stop these sidebars from popping up as a default?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
There is an arrow icon next to the quick forum select icon at the top
Yes, I have seen that. I just want the default to be no sidebar so I can bring it up when/if I want it, which I usually don't.

LCKurtz said:
Yes, I have seen that. I just want the default to be no sidebar so I can bring it up when/if I want it, which I usually don't.
What content or feature would make you want it? Brainstorm.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What content or feature would make you want it? Brainstorm.
That's an odd question. When I'm perusing a forum to read and answer questions, I find it to be a nuisance to have a distracting sidebar taking up screen space.

LCKurtz said:
When I'm perusing a forum to read and answer questions, I find it to be a nuisance to have a distracting sidebar taking up screen space.
Fair enough, I'm just being inquisitive as to whether there may be some content or feature added to the sidebar that would improve and enhance your perusing. Maybe not, but if I don't ask, I may never know.

So, getting back to the original question -- is there (or can there be) a setting in preferences or somewhere to set the default to not showing the sidebar?

LCKurtz said:
So, getting back to the original question -- is there (or can there be) a setting in preferences or somewhere to set the default to not showing the sidebar?
At this moment no. Anything is possible in the future.

Likes dlgoff
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm just being inquisitive as to whether there may be some content or feature added to the sidebar that would improve and enhance your perusing

But the point isn't to add the sidebar and then try and find a purpose for it. Isn't the point to find something that needs improving and to figure out what best does that?

The thing I don't like about the sidebars is that when I have navigated to the page I want to be, a sidebar clutters it up with links to other places. "Go somewhere else!" is not a message I am receptive to at that time.

Vanadium 50 said:
But the point isn't to add the sidebar and then try and find a purpose for it. Isn't the point to find something that needs improving and to figure out what best does that?

Oh it has a purpose and one I fairly enjoy. Some may not, and it's a matter of opinion. I feel it's a better route to try and offer a way to make it more useful to a member than just giving up on it immediately. There could be a feature that really enhances a member's experience. I respect minimalism, but I want to explore all opportunities and experiment. I have a few ideas that might prove useful. Right now I just have some default widgets.

Vanadium 50 said:
The thing I don't like about the sidebars is that when I have navigated to the page I want to be, a sidebar clutters it up with links to other places. "Go somewhere else!" is not a message I am receptive to at that time.

Somehow I think that is how the internet works :)

Content discovery is a very big problem for forum formats. It's just one possible way for members to discover new content and feel connected.

Likes dlgoff

Related to Disabling the "Popular threads" and similar sidebars

What is the purpose of disabling the "Popular threads" and similar sidebars?

Disabling the "Popular threads" and similar sidebars is done to declutter and streamline the user experience on a website. These sidebars often feature content that may not be relevant or useful to the user, and can be distracting from the main content of the page.

How do I disable the "Popular threads" and similar sidebars?

The process of disabling these sidebars may vary depending on the website or platform. In some cases, there may be a specific setting or option to disable these sidebars. In other cases, it may require custom coding or the use of browser extensions. It is recommended to consult the website's help or support section for specific instructions.

Will disabling the "Popular threads" and similar sidebars affect my browsing experience?

Disabling these sidebars should not affect the overall browsing experience on a website. In fact, it may improve the performance and loading speed of the website as there will be less content to load on the page.

Are there any benefits to disabling the "Popular threads" and similar sidebars?

There are several potential benefits to disabling these sidebars. It can help reduce visual clutter and improve the user experience. It may also help protect user privacy by preventing tracking and profiling through these sidebars. Additionally, disabling these sidebars can improve the website's loading speed and overall performance.

Are there any drawbacks to disabling the "Popular threads" and similar sidebars?

The main drawback of disabling these sidebars is that the user may miss out on potentially interesting or relevant content that would have been featured in these sidebars. However, this can be mitigated by actively seeking out content or using alternative methods of discovering popular threads or related content on the website.