Directions of currents in Kirchhoff's 2nd law problems

In summary: In this case, you should also have a sign error when you assigned the relative polarity of the emf and IR in the third equation.In summary, to find the current at point X in the circuit shown, Kirchhoff's laws can be applied. The direction of the current is determined by assigning directions to the currents and paying attention to the polarities of associated potentials. However, incorrect assumptions or errors in assigning polarities can lead to incorrect answers. It is important to double check the set up of equations to avoid these errors.
User11037

Homework Statement

Apply Kirchhoff's laws to find the current at point X in the circuit shown. What is the direction of the current?

ElectricityProblem.jpg

Homework Equations

V = IR
Kirchhoff's 1st law: ∑Currents entering junction = ∑Currents leaving junctions
Kirchhoff's 2nd law: ∑EMFs in a loop = ∑PDs in a loop

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is simple enough but my issue is how to tell initially which directions the currents are going in. My initial approach was as follows:

ElectricityProblemIncorrectCurrents.jpg

However, this leads to incorrect answers:

By Kirchoff's 1st law, I2 = I0 + I1
By Kirchoff's 2nd law, the sum of the emfs in the top loop must equal the sum of the pds:
EMF = 4V
PDS:
V = IR, V = 20 x I0
V = IR, V = 20 x I1
So 20 x I0 + 20 x I1 = 4
Using I2 = I0 + I1 from earlier,
20 x I2 = 20 x I0 + 20 x I1
substituting this into 20 x I0 + 20 x I1 = 4
gives 20 x I2 = 4
I2 = 4 / 20 = 0.2A

Applying Kirchhoff's 2nd law to the big loop (ie ignoring middle resistor):
EMF = 10 + 4 = 14V
∑PDs = 80 x I2 + 20 x I0
80 x I2 + 20 x I0 = 14
80 x 0.2 + 20 x I0 = 14
I0 = -0.1A

I2 = I0 + I1
I1 = 0.2 -- 0.1 = 0.3 A which is not the correct answer.

Why should labelling the currents in this way not give the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
In these problems, if the assumed direction of the current is incorrect, the value obtained should just be the negative of the actual current magnitude. I haven't checked the set up of your equations, but there may be other problems there.

User11037 said:
So 20 x I0 + 20 x I1 = 4
This equation is not correct. You have a sign wrong.

Once you have assigned directions to currents, you must pay close attention to polarities of associated potentials.

Likes 1 person

Related to Directions of currents in Kirchhoff's 2nd law problems

1. What is Kirchhoff's 2nd law?

Kirchhoff's 2nd law, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero.

2. What is the purpose of using Kirchhoff's 2nd law in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's 2nd law allows us to calculate the direction and magnitude of currents in a circuit, as well as to determine the voltage drops across individual circuit elements.

3. How do you determine the direction of currents in Kirchhoff's 2nd law problems?

The direction of the current is determined by the direction in which it flows. In a closed loop, the current will flow in the direction that maintains conservation of charge and satisfies KVL.

4. Can the direction of currents in Kirchhoff's 2nd law problems change?

Yes, the direction of currents can change depending on the elements in the circuit. For example, if a resistor is replaced with a capacitor, the direction of the current will change due to the different properties of the capacitor.

5. How does Kirchhoff's 2nd law apply to complex circuits?

Kirchhoff's 2nd law applies to complex circuits in the same way as simple circuits. It is a fundamental law of circuit analysis that can be applied to any type of circuit, regardless of its complexity.