Directional photon detector to detect which path?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a directional photon or electron detector placed on the screen of a 2 slit experiment to determine which slit an individual photon comes from without destroying the interference fringes. However, it is explained that observing the electron as it goes through one of the slits changes its direction, destroying the interference pattern. It is also noted that there is no passive detection for single photon measurements and that detectors behind the screen would not be able to give which-way information.
Colin Mitch
I know this is not possible but I want to know why. Why cannot a directional photon (or electron) detector placed on the screen of a 2 slit experiment detect which slit an individual photon comes from without destroying the fringes? Fire the photons one at a time. They can be detected building up on the screen over time into the interferance fringe pattern. Why cannot I build a directional detector into the screen positioned at one of the bright fringes aimed at one of the slits so I can tell at a particular firing of a photon which slit it came through? After all, the photons land individually on the screen anyway. I can see where they land. All I am doing is putting a directional detector set either on or behind the (semi-transparent?) screen at one spot.
I am imagining the detector as a long tube with a small hole at the front and the photomultiplier tube at the back, aimed so that the field of view is one of the slits only.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can observe which slit the electron goes through and exactly where it ends up on the screen. However, observing an electron as it goes through one of the slits changes the direction of the electron, and so you will not get an interference pattern. You will get the same pattern as if you were firing a machine gun/marbles at the slits.

You can only get an interference pattern by not observing the electrons between the source and the screen.

Yes, I realize QM would entail that the interference pattern would be destroyed. But I am not trying to observe an electron as it goes through one of the slits. My detector is at the screen itself. It detects the electron as it arrives at the screen (or after if the detector is behind the screen). My detector is not at the slit, so it should not interfere with the electron on the way through the slit. It passively detects the arrival of a photon at the screen. It is aimed to point at one of the slits. (I guess I would have to assume the electron traveled in a straight line from the slit). Since I am not interfering with the electron at the slit why would the pattern be destroyed?

Colin Mitch said:
It passively detects the arrival of a photon at the screen.

There is no - as you call it - passive detection for single shot measurements. Every measurement detecting the arrival of a single photon is "active" and therefore destroying the interference pattern. There are things like weak measurements that give you something similar to what you want to have, but they only give info about quantities averaged over many measurement runs.

How could you detect a photon without interacting with it? This is only possible for classical macroscopic objects.

Colin Mitch said:
Yes, I realize QM would entail that the interference pattern would be destroyed. But I am not trying to observe an electron as it goes through one of the slits. My detector is at the screen itself. It detects the electron as it arrives at the screen (or after if the detector is behind the screen). My detector is not at the slit, so it should not interfere with the electron on the way through the slit. It passively detects the arrival of a photon at the screen. It is aimed to point at one of the slits. (I guess I would have to assume the electron traveled in a straight line from the slit). Since I am not interfering with the electron at the slit why would the pattern be destroyed?

A detector behind the screen would do nothing, i guess, because the arriving photons will have already stuck the screen and made an interference pattern.

Also I am not sure if a detector behind the screen would be able to give which-way info.

Related to Directional photon detector to detect which path?

1. How does a directional photon detector work?

A directional photon detector works by using a series of mirrors and filters to direct photons from a specific direction towards a detector. The detector then measures the properties of the photons, such as their energy and direction, to determine the path they came from.

2. What is the purpose of a directional photon detector?

The purpose of a directional photon detector is to determine the path that photons take in a system. This is important in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics where understanding the path of particles is crucial.

3. How accurate is a directional photon detector?

The accuracy of a directional photon detector depends on various factors such as the design of the detector, the properties of the photons being detected, and external factors such as noise. However, directional photon detectors are generally highly accurate and can detect even small changes in the direction or energy of photons.

4. Can a directional photon detector be used for other types of particles?

While directional photon detectors are specifically designed for detecting photons, the principles behind their operation can be applied to other types of particles as well. Some researchers have successfully adapted directional photon detectors to detect electrons and other subatomic particles.

5. What are some potential applications of directional photon detectors?

Directional photon detectors have a wide range of potential applications, including in quantum information processing, particle physics research, and medical imaging. They can also be used in communication systems to improve the security and speed of data transmission.