Direction of the magnetic force

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the left and right hand rules to determine the direction of current flow in a given scenario. The person initially used the wrong rule and received a different answer than the provided answer key. After clarification, they still do not understand why the correct answer is A instead of B. The conversation ends with a question about the direction of the palm in relation to the current flow.
Nitrate

Homework Statement

The problem is in the attached image.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the third left hand rule (seen in one of the attached images) and pointed my thumb (direction of the current) downwards because the question states that the current flows from point E to point F. However, when I point my thumb downwards I seem to get B as the answer... and my answer key says that A is the answer. I need a bit of clarification please (a drawing might be helpful.)

Attachments

• Untitleddgffgdfgfdgf.jpg
    Untitleddgffgdfgfdgf.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 427
  • dsffsgfgfdg.jpg
    dsffsgfgfdg.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nitrate! :smile:
Nitrate said:
I used the third left hand rule …

No, for current, it's the right-hand rule. :wink:

(It's only the left-hand rule for electrons, because the current is defined as going the opposite way to the electrons)

tiny-tim said:

No, for current, it's the right-hand rule. :wink:

(It's only the left-hand rule for electrons, because the current is defined as going the opposite way to the electrons)

My mistake. That being said, I still don't understand why A is the answer.

Nitrate said:
… when I point my thumb downwards I seem to get B as the answer …
Nitrate said:
… I still don't understand why A is the answer.

I don't get it :confused:

if your right thumb is down, and your fingers are pointing along the field (from N to S, ie from C to D),

then isn't your palm is pointing towards you, ie towards A ?​

The direction of the magnetic force can be determined using the right-hand rule. First, point your thumb in the direction of the current, which in this case is from point E to point F. Then, curl your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, which is from left to right. The direction in which your fingers curl is the direction of the magnetic force. In this case, the magnetic force would be pointing out of the page, towards you. This aligns with answer choice A in the attached image.

It is important to note that the left-hand rule can also be used to determine the direction of the magnetic force, but it is not as commonly used as the right-hand rule. Make sure to consistently use the same hand rule to avoid confusion.

Related to Direction of the magnetic force

1. What is the direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle?

The direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's velocity and the direction of the magnetic field it is moving through. This is known as the right-hand rule.

2. How can the direction of the magnetic force be determined?

The direction of the magnetic force can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the charged particle's velocity and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction your palm is facing is the direction of the magnetic force.

3. Does the direction of the magnetic force change if the particle's velocity changes?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic force changes if the particle's velocity changes. As the velocity changes, the angle between the velocity and magnetic field also changes, causing the direction of the magnetic force to change as well.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic force be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic force can be reversed. This can be achieved by either reversing the direction of the magnetic field or reversing the direction of the charged particle's velocity.

5. How does the direction of the magnetic force affect the motion of a charged particle?

The direction of the magnetic force affects the motion of a charged particle by causing it to move in a circular or helical path, depending on the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle. This is known as magnetic deflection and is used in many applications, such as particle accelerators and cathode ray tubes.