Direction of particle between two plates

In summary, the direction of a particle between two plates is determined by the charge of the particle, the charge of the plates, and the electric field between the plates. The electric field between the plates affects the direction of the particle by creating a force on the particle. This force can be changed by altering the electric field, changing the distance between the plates, or introducing external forces such as magnetic fields. The distance between the plates greatly affects the direction of the particle, as a greater distance results in a weaker force. Finally, the charges of the plates play a crucial role in determining the direction of the particle, with opposite charges attracting and like charges repelling each other. The magnitude of the charges also affects the strength of the force and ultimately
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

screenshot_15.png

The Attempt at a Solution

screenshot_13.png

Since Fel > mg , the particle will move up with acceleration

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 519
  • screenshot_15.png
    screenshot_15.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 534
  • screenshot_13.png
    screenshot_13.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

Nguyen Son said:
What is your question?
want to know where is my mistake as I didn't get the same answer as the model answer

Fatima Hasan said:
want to know where is my mistake as I didn't get the same answer as the model answer
Your calculations and conclusion look okay to me.

Likes Fatima Hasan
gneill said:
Your calculations and conclusion look okay to me.
My answer turns out to be correct;Thanks !

Related to Direction of particle between two plates

1. What is the direction of a particle between two plates?

The direction of a particle between two plates will depend on several factors, including the charge of the particle, the charge of the plates, and the electric field between the plates. Generally, positively charged particles will be attracted to negatively charged plates, while negatively charged particles will be repelled. However, the direction of the particle can also be affected by the strength of the electric field and the distance between the plates.

2. How does the electric field between two plates affect the direction of a particle?

The electric field between two plates is responsible for the force that acts on a charged particle between the plates. The direction of the electric field will determine the direction of the force on the particle. If the electric field is directed from the positive plate to the negative plate, the force on a positive particle will be in the direction of the electric field, while the force on a negative particle will be in the opposite direction.

3. Can the direction of a particle between two plates be changed?

Yes, the direction of a particle between two plates can be changed by altering the electric field between the plates. This can be done by changing the charge of the plates or by changing the distance between the plates. Additionally, the direction of the particle can be changed by introducing other external forces, such as magnetic fields, that can act on the particle.

4. How does the distance between two plates affect the direction of a particle?

The distance between two plates can greatly affect the direction of a particle between them. As the distance between the plates increases, the force on the particle decreases, resulting in a slower or even reversed direction. This is because the electric field between the plates weakens with greater distance, leading to a weaker force on the particle.

5. How do the charges of the plates affect the direction of a particle between them?

The charges of the plates play a crucial role in determining the direction of a particle between them. As stated earlier, particles with opposite charges will be attracted to each other, while particles with the same charge will repel each other. Therefore, the direction of the particle will be influenced by the charge of the particle and the charge of the plates. Additionally, the magnitude of the charges can also affect the strength of the force on the particle and ultimately the direction of its motion.