Direction of Magnetic Field with Current and Motion in Same Direction?

In summary, the left hand rule (LHR) is used to determine the direction of force in a conductor placed in a magnetic field. If the current and motion of the conductor are parallel, there will be no force. The LHR applies to the conventional direction and sense of current flow. Michael Faraday's analogy of magnetic lines of force can be helpful in visualizing the direction of force.
Cici2017

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 8.29.33 pm.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

using the left hand rule, second finger points the direction of current, thumb points direction of motion and first finger the direction of magnetic field. But If direction of current and motion is the same, what do I do? Thanks~

Physics news on Phys.org
In the LHR if C and M are parallel, there is zero force.

But you are getting a bit confused about how LHR is applied. If a conductor is in a magnetic field LHR tells you which way the force (or Motion of the conductor) will be. But the electrons, constrained within the conductor, are moving in the direction of the current (though in the opposite sense for conventional current.)

Here the (original) motion of the electrons is not the "thumb" direction : the (original) motion of the electrons is in the current direction (but opposite sense.) It is perpendicular to the field from the wire current, so you will see a force on the electron represented by the "thumb" direction (and sense.)

Maybe you should consider the electron as if it were traveling along a conductor/wire. What force would that conductor experience?

Merlin3189 said:
In the LHR if C and M are parallel, there is zero force.

But you are getting a bit confused about how LHR is applied. If a conductor is in a magnetic field LHR tells you which way the force (or Motion of the conductor) will be. But the electrons, constrained within the conductor, are moving in the direction of the current (though in the opposite sense for conventional current.)

Here the (original) motion of the electrons is not the "thumb" direction : the (original) motion of the electrons is in the current direction (but opposite sense.) It is perpendicular to the field from the wire current, so you will see a force on the electron represented by the "thumb" direction (and sense.)

Maybe you should consider the electron as if it were traveling along a conductor/wire. What force would that conductor experience?
If the electron is traveling along a wire, in the same direction as the existing wire. The 2 wires attract. So the force is A? but the answer is D. Sorry, can you please explain a bit more, I am not really good with these ideas.

You have to be careful, as I hinted before, about the direction of current.
In the wire shown, the current is clearly shown going in direction B. So which direction are electrons flowing in that wire?
Now the electron is also moving in direction B. So if it were an electron moving along a wire, what direction would we say the current was going?

The LHR applies to the conventional direction and sense of current flow.

Merlin3189 said:
You have to be careful, as I hinted before, about the direction of current.
In the wire shown, the current is clearly shown going in direction B. So which direction are electrons flowing in that wire?
Now the electron is also moving in direction B. So if it were an electron moving along a wire, what direction would we say the current was going?

The LHR applies to the conventional direction and sense of current flow.
So the conventional current is the opposite, so direction of C. So the 2 repel each other, thus force is in direction of D?

Yes.

Merlin3189 said:
Yes.
Thank you!

As a BTW, I always forget which is LHR and which is RHR.
I think of the SI definition of the Ampere. There is a force between parallel conductors (hence parallel currents or charge flows.)
The snag is remembering whether it is attractive or repulsive, and for that I go back to Michael Faraday with his magnetic lines of force analogy. He imagined them a bit like elastic bands trying to be as short as possible, but being exclusive, unable to cross and repelling each other sideways. Once I sketch these in, the direction of force is easy. Maybe not Physics as we know it, but it helped him to have great insights in a field that was not well understood at the time.

Merlin3189 said:
As a BTW, I always forget which is LHR and which is RHR.
I think of the SI definition of the Ampere. There is a force between parallel conductors (hence parallel currents or charge flows.)
The snag is remembering whether it is attractive or repulsive, and for that I go back to Michael Faraday with his magnetic lines of force analogy. He imagined them a bit like elastic bands trying to be as short as possible, but being exclusive, unable to cross and repelling each other sideways. Once I sketch these in, the direction of force is easy. Maybe not Physics as we know it, but it helped him to have great insights in a field that was not well understood at the time.
Yes, my teacher also mentioned this way of visualising it.

I see you have another Q. Have you tried sketching in the lines there?

Merlin3189 said:
I see you have another Q. Have you tried sketching in the lines there?
Yes, I have. And I think the force is to the right. Am I right?

Related to Direction of Magnetic Field with Current and Motion in Same Direction?

1. What is the direction of a magnetic field?

The direction of a magnetic field is the direction in which a compass needle would point if it were placed in the field. The direction is from the north pole to the south pole of the magnet.

2. How is the direction of a magnetic field determined?

The direction of a magnetic field is determined by the direction of the magnetic force on a moving charged particle. The force is perpendicular to both the direction of motion of the particle and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can the direction of a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the direction of a magnetic field can be changed by changing the direction of the current in an electromagnet or by reversing the polarity of a permanent magnet.

4. How does the direction of a magnetic field affect a magnet's behavior?

The direction of a magnetic field affects a magnet's behavior by determining its orientation and the direction of the forces it experiences. Like poles (north and north, or south and south) repel each other, while opposite poles (north and south) attract.

5. What is the right-hand rule for determining the direction of a magnetic field?

The right-hand rule is a technique used to determine the direction of a magnetic field. When you point your thumb in the direction of the current, the direction in which your fingers curl represents the direction of the magnetic field.