Dirac Delta Function Properties

In summary: Now, F(0) is not really a function. It's just the value of the Dirac Delta function at zero. So, in order to prove the two properties, one would need to show that F(0) is a function and that it satisfies the two properties. In summary, the two properties are plausible, but require further proof.
Emc2brain
Okay...so here's the thing. I have been researching the dirac Delta properties. The sights I've visited, thus far, are moderately helpful. I'm looking to tackle this question I'm about to propose, so for you Brains out there (the truly remarkable :rolleyes:) please don't post a solution, pointers in the right direction would be really great.

I'm in the process of showing that the following two distinct property (nascent) are in actuality valid...

nascent property I:
pie*delta(y) = lim(n-->infinity) of sin(n*y)/y

nascent property II:
2*pie*delta(y) = integral[-infinity-->+infinity] e^(iky)dk

Hannah

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hannah,

The delta function is a wonderful way of approximating many things in physics and was thankfully given a rigorous grounding by mathematicians.

The first property is one (of the many) series of functions that converges to the delta function as n goes to infinity. I would look in mathematical methods for physics books for discussions of this.

The second property is something very usefull that comes out of Fourier analysis. Any good coverage of Fourier will discuss that one.

This might be a little too broad, but I didn't want to give anything away for you. BTW are you trying to rigorously prove those properties or just show that they are plausible?

Yes, rigorous. I know what they are and have used their applications, just having some difficulty in proving it mathematically... :blushing:

Thanx
Hannah

Part of the problem is that the Dirac Delta "function" is not a function! It is, rather, a "generalized function" or "distribution". Schwarz wrote "the book" on them in terms of functionals. That is, a "distribution" is an operator that, to every function (in a certain function space) assigns a number. In particular, the Dirac Delta function assigns to the function f(x) the number f(0).

Related to Dirac Delta Function Properties

1. What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, also known as the Delta Distribution, is a mathematical function used to describe the behavior of point-like particles in quantum mechanics. It is defined as a function that is zero everywhere, except at the origin where it is infinite, with an integral of unity.

2. What are the key properties of the Dirac Delta Function?

The key properties of the Dirac Delta Function include its symmetry, scaling, shifting, and sifting properties. It is also a linear operator and satisfies the Dirac Delta Function Identity.

3. How is the Dirac Delta Function used in physics and engineering?

The Dirac Delta Function is used in various fields of physics and engineering, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, signal processing, and control theory. It is used to describe the behavior of point-like particles, model impulse responses, and solve differential equations.

4. What is the relationship between the Dirac Delta Function and the Kronecker Delta Function?

The Kronecker Delta Function is a discrete version of the Dirac Delta Function. It takes on a value of 1 when its arguments are equal, and 0 otherwise. In the limit, as the spacing between the discrete points approaches zero, the Kronecker Delta Function converges to the Dirac Delta Function.

5. Can the Dirac Delta Function be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Dirac Delta Function can be generalized to higher dimensions. In one dimension, it is represented as a spike at the origin. In two dimensions, it is represented as a surface of infinite area surrounding the origin, and in three dimensions, it is represented as a volume of infinite volume surrounding the origin.