Dirac Delta function and Divergence

In summary, the given problem involves calculating E(r), Rho(r), and Q from the potential V(r) = A*e^(-lambda*r)/r, with A and lambda as constants. The solution involves finding E(r) as the gradient of V(r), Rho(r) as the divergence of E times the emissivity constant, and Q as the total charge. The calculation of the divergence of E(r) may involve the use of the Dirac Delta Function, but for r>0 it can be found without it.
Apple96

Homework Statement

The Potential V(r) is given: A*e^(-lambda*r)/r, A and lambda are constants
From this potential, I have to calculate: E(r), Rho(r) -- charge density, and Q -- total charge.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that E(r) is simply minus gradient of V(r), which is lambda*A*e^(-lambda*r)/r + A*e^(-lambda*r)/r^2. And, the rho will be equal to divergence of E times emissivity constant, according to the Gauss' Law and Divergence theorem. However, I'm having trouble calculating the divergence of E(r). Apparently, I have to use the Dirac Delta Function, but I'm simply lost from here. Please help me out.

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm. Just have a go at calculating the divergence of E(r). Clearly, something slightly strange will happen at r=0. But for r>0 you can see what happens without worrying about Dirac Delta functions.

Related to Dirac Delta function and Divergence

1. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, also known as the Dirac distribution, is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific point. It is often used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of systems with concentrated forces or sources.

2. How is the Dirac Delta function defined?

The Dirac Delta function is defined as zero everywhere except at its origin, where it has an infinite value, and its integral over the entire real line is equal to one. It is often represented mathematically as δ(x).

3. What is the relationship between the Dirac Delta function and the Kronecker Delta function?

The Kronecker Delta function is a discrete version of the Dirac Delta function, where it takes a value of one when the inputs are equal and zero otherwise. The Dirac Delta function can be seen as the continuous limit of the Kronecker Delta function, as the spacing between inputs becomes infinitely small.

4. What is divergence in vector calculus?

In vector calculus, divergence is a measure of the amount of flow that is emanating or converging at a particular point in a vector field. It is represented mathematically as the dot product of the gradient operator and a vector field.

5. How is the Dirac Delta function related to divergence?

In vector calculus, the Dirac Delta function can be used to represent a point source or sink in a vector field, which affects the divergence of the field. The divergence of a vector field with a point source or sink can be expressed as the Dirac Delta function at the location of the source or sink.