Dirac Delta: Finite Height in Fourier Analysis

In summary, the Dirac delta function is defined as having infinite height and zero width, but in Fourier analysis it is represented as having a finite height. This is due to the fact that in Fourier analysis, the delta function is represented by an infinite amount of frequency components, resulting in a flat response with no distinct frequency peak. The finite height of 1/2 in Fourier analysis is due to the addition of all these frequencies together, resulting in a high overall amplitude. However, there may be some discrepancies in its definition between different fields of mathematics.
frenzal_dude
Hi,
if the definition of a dirac delta (impulse) function is just a sinc function with an infinite height and 0 width, why is it that they are shown and used in Fourier analysis as having a finite height?

for example g(t) = cos(2*PI*f0*t) has two impulses of height = 1/2 at f=+/-f0

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know that Dirac Delta function has anything to do with sync function.

The definition of one dimention ( say x ) Dirac Delta function [itex]\delta(x-a)[/itex] is equal zero everywhere except equal to infinity at x=a and

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\delta(x-a)dx=\int_{a^-}^{a^+}\delta(x-a)dx=1[/tex]

Sync function is just [itex]sync(x)=\frac{\sin x}{x}[/itex] and equal to 1 when x=0.

ok maybe the sinc was a bad example,
but still, if it is equal to infinity at x=a, why do they represent the impulse as having a finite height of 1/2 in Fourier analysis?

i would suggest going to the Wikipedia site for the Dirac delta function.

for a strict mathematician, the definition is not simple. in fact, mathematicians would say that the Dirac delta is not even a function. they like to call it a "distribution" or a "generalized function". i am not all that sure of what they mean, but one thing i remember from my college daze was, in the EE class [itex] \delta(t) [/itex] is a function that is zero everywhere except t=0 and its integral is 1. but in a Real Analysis class (where you learn the difference between Riemann and Lebesgue integration) any function that is zero "almost everywhere" has an integral that is zero. so there's some kinda disconnect there.

for practical purposes, treat the dirac impulse as one of those "nascent" delta functions (the spikes with unit area that get thinner and thinner), but be careful when you find yourself talking about it with your math prof.

frenzal_dude said:
but still, if it is equal to infinity at x=a, why do they represent the impulse as having a finite height of 1/2 in Fourier analysis?

You may have seen something like an arrow. This arrow notation would not mean the impulse has a finite height equal to 1/2. The arrow may have a specific height to indicate the magnitude of the coefficient of the [delayed] Dirac delta it represents.

Last edited:
frenzal_dude said:

Have not touch Fourier Transform for a long time. Far as I remember a dirac delta function is represented by and infinite amount of frequency components after Fourier Transform which means it is flat response on the FT graph with no distinct frequency peak stand out. You have to add all the frequencies together so the final amplitude is high.

I think you'll have better luck going to either Classical Physics or go to ODE/PDE sub-forum here where people there don't worry about producing tangible result and spend all the effort talking about definition and theory!:smile:

how can I move this thread to that forum?

frenzal_dude said:
how can I move this thread to that forum?

Re-post and bag for forgiveness when you get a warning for posting the same post in two different area:bugeye:

OR

Change the wording and pray the moderator do not recognize it!:smile:

BTW, do you follow about the broad band frequency components in FT so even if individual frequency component is only 1/2 height, but if summing infinite frequencies together, it is possible to get an infinite amplitude at one point.

Last edited:

Related to Dirac Delta: Finite Height in Fourier Analysis

What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function used in mathematics and physics to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific location. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite, with an integral of one over the entire real line.

What is the significance of the Dirac Delta function in Fourier analysis?

The Dirac Delta function is an essential tool in Fourier analysis as it allows us to represent a wide range of functions as a combination of simpler functions. It acts as a basis function for the Fourier transform and plays a crucial role in solving differential equations and signal processing.

Can the Dirac Delta function have a finite height?

Yes, the Dirac Delta function can have a finite height when it is multiplied by a constant. In Fourier analysis, this constant is typically referred to as the amplitude of the Dirac Delta function. This allows for more flexibility in representing functions as a combination of simpler functions.

What is the relationship between the Dirac Delta function and the rectangular function?

The Dirac Delta function can be thought of as the limit of the rectangular function as its width approaches zero and its height approaches infinity. This relationship is used in the sampling theorem, which states that a bandlimited signal can be completely reconstructed from its samples at regular intervals.

What are some practical applications of the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function has many practical applications in various fields, including signal processing, control theory, and quantum mechanics. It is used to model point loads in structural analysis, represent impulse responses in electrical circuits, and describe the position and momentum of particles in quantum mechanics.