Dipole operator and correlations

In summary, The conversation discusses a paper about laser theory and the authors mention a term that describes the coupling of atom-field coherence to spin-spin correlations. The speaker is confused about why the term describes dipole correlations between atoms and asks for clarification. The other person responds with their understanding of the term and its relationship to the spin shift between atoms.
Niles
Hi

I am reading a paper (http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.3105), where they after eq. (3) mention something I can't understand. First of all, (3) comes from the master equation of a collection of N atoms in a cavity. They say that (page 2, right after (3)):

The last term describes the coupling of the atom-field coherence to the collective spin-spin correlations which locks the relative phase between atoms and field to the phase of the macroscopic atomic dipole.

I don't see why the term [itex]\left\langle {\sigma _1^ + \sigma _2^ - } \right\rangle[/itex] constitutes the dipole correlations between atoms. σ± is a simple transition operator, and I have never heard that it is related to the dipole of a transition.

I would be grateful to get some help with this.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea of laser theory, but I find the last term in eq.3 not too strange. Obviously the expectation of ##\sigma_1^-## will change when a spin is shifted from 2 to 1 which is described by the last term.

Related to Dipole operator and correlations

1. What is a dipole operator?

A dipole operator is a mathematical operator that describes the strength and orientation of a dipole moment, which is the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule or atom. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy and properties of molecules and atoms.

2. How does a dipole operator relate to correlations?

A dipole operator is often used in correlation calculations in quantum mechanics. Correlations refer to the interactions and relationships between different particles or systems. The dipole operator helps to describe the correlation between the dipole moment of a system and its energy levels.

3. Can a dipole operator be measured experimentally?

Yes, a dipole operator can be measured experimentally using techniques such as spectroscopy. By analyzing the changes in energy levels of a system due to the presence of a dipole moment, the dipole operator can be determined. This can provide valuable information about the properties of molecules and atoms.

4. How does the strength of a dipole moment affect its correlation with the dipole operator?

The strength of a dipole moment directly affects its correlation with the dipole operator. A stronger dipole moment will have a higher correlation with the dipole operator, meaning that changes in one will have a greater impact on the other. This can also impact the overall energy and behavior of the system.

5. Are dipole operators only used in quantum mechanics?

No, dipole operators are also used in classical mechanics to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. However, they are most commonly used in quantum mechanics due to their ability to accurately describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and molecular level.