Diode Question: need to understand why my approach is wrong

In summary, the conversation discussed a homework problem involving a circuit with a diode and a 9V source. The person attempted to solve the problem using a Norton Equivalent, but their solution was not legible. Another person pointed out that the first attempt calculated the total current from the 9V source, while the second attempt only calculated the current through the diode. They also suggested retaking the image with better lighting.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

A screenshot of the problem:

ljtoclm.png

imgur link: https://i.imgur.com/ljtoclm.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt at the solution was this:

TJcvOzy.jpg

imgur link: https://i.imgur.com/TJcvOzy.jpg

However, I have access to the worked solution, and it is this:

u0BeWiZ.jpg

imgur link: https://i.imgur.com/u0BeWiZ.jpg

I understand the worked solution. What I don't understand is what is wrong in my thinking/understanding so far as my original attempt at the solution goes? Is it not valid to use a Norton Equivalent where I tried to use one? If so, why not?

Attachments

• ljtoclm.png
    ljtoclm.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 740
  • TJcvOzy.jpg
    TJcvOzy.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 299
  • u0BeWiZ.jpg
    u0BeWiZ.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 328
Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to tell since your first image is illegible (too light). Try it again w/ black ink (and thicker preferably)

In your first case you are calculating the total current from the 9v source. In your second, the calculation is of just the current through the diode.

It seems you may have had your camera set for artificial light, but have taken the shot under sunlight? This causes the extra blue of natural light to dominate, making your white paper appear blue—and losing contrast with the blue ink.

Related to Diode Question: need to understand why my approach is wrong

1. What is a diode?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is made up of a P-N junction, where one side is doped with a material that has an excess of positively charged particles (P-type) and the other side is doped with a material that has an excess of negatively charged particles (N-type).

2. How does a diode work?

A diode works by allowing current to flow from the P-type side to the N-type side, but not in the reverse direction. This is due to the difference in charge between the two sides, which creates a depletion zone in the middle that prevents current from flowing in the opposite direction.

3. What are the common applications of diodes?

Diodes have a variety of applications, including converting AC to DC in power supplies, voltage regulation, signal modulation and demodulation, and in logic gates for digital circuits.

4. What could be causing my diode to fail?

There are several reasons why a diode may fail, including exceeding its maximum voltage or current rating, excessive heat, or physical damage. It is important to use diodes within their specified parameters to avoid failure.

5. How can I troubleshoot a diode circuit?

To troubleshoot a diode circuit, you can use a multimeter to check for continuity and voltage drop across the diode, as well as check the polarity and connections. You can also test the diode with a diode tester or by using a known good diode in place of the suspected faulty one.