Dimensional anaylsis problem involving trigonometry

In summary, the dimension of A in the equation x = A sin(2∏ft) is meters (m), as f must be in terms of seconds^-1 in order to cancel out the seconds in the input of sine, making it dimensionless.
mileena

Homework Statement

Dimensional Analysis:

A displacement is related to time as:

x = A sin (2∏ft), where A and f are constants.

Find the dimensions of A. (Hint: a trigonometric function appearing in an equation must be dimensionless.)

Homework Equations

t = seconds
The domain of a sine must be an angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

x = A sin (2∏ft), where A and f are constants.

m = A sin (2∏fs)

A = m/[sin (2∏fs)]

Therefore, f, a constant, must be in terms of s-1, in order to cancel out the s next to it, as the input of sine in an equation must be dimensionless.

Therefore, A = m

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that would be correct.

Correct

I am absolutely stunned that I got the question correct (other than failing to use base dimensions instead of units in the SI system, as Emilyjoint posted in my other thread here!).

Thank you!

I would like to clarify that dimensional analysis is a method used to check the correctness of a mathematical equation by ensuring that the dimensions on either side of the equation are consistent. It is not a method for solving equations or finding constants. In this case, the given equation is already dimensionally consistent, so there is no need for further analysis.

However, I can provide some additional information regarding the dimensions of A. Since x is a displacement (in meters), A must also have the dimensions of length. This means that the constant f must have the dimensions of inverse time (s-1), as you correctly stated. Therefore, A cannot be equal to m, as m is a unit for mass and does not have the correct dimensions for A.

In summary, the dimensions of A are length, and the constant f must have the dimensions of inverse time for the given equation to be dimensionally consistent. I hope this helps clarify the concept of dimensional analysis in this context.

Related to Dimensional anaylsis problem involving trigonometry

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to convert between different units of measurement. It involves setting up ratios of equivalent measurements and cancelling out units until the desired unit is achieved.

2. How does trigonometry relate to dimensional analysis?

Trigonometry is used in dimensional analysis to convert between different types of units, such as from degrees to radians or from meters to feet. Trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent are used to calculate the relationships between different units.

3. Can dimensional analysis be used in real-world applications?

Yes, dimensional analysis is commonly used in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve problems involving unit conversions, scaling, and dimensional consistency in equations.

4. What are some common mistakes when using dimensional analysis with trigonometry?

One common mistake is using the wrong trigonometric function for the given problem. Another mistake is not properly canceling out units or using incorrect conversion factors. It is important to carefully set up the ratios and double-check the units to ensure accuracy.

5. How can I improve my skills in dimensional analysis involving trigonometry?

Practice is key in improving dimensional analysis skills. Try solving a variety of problems and make sure to understand the concepts behind each step. It can also be helpful to review basic trigonometry principles and common unit conversions.